Bolt into metal

Old 06-22-14, 11:45 AM
Bolt into metal

I have a bed where the horizontal bed base is screwed to the upright frame as shown in the attached images. As far as I can tell, the screw goes into some sort of plastic sleeve inside the frame (which is 1 1/2 square hollow metal).

What I want to do is raise the base by a couple of inches on the frame. I could just use a nut and bolt (after drilling through the upright) but my wife is concerned about the sticking out bolt. Is there some way I can do this with the non-bolt end smooth (or, ideally, flush with the upright)?

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-14, 12:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Use the top hole for the bottom bolt, then you only have to deal with one hole. You can measure accurately the thickness of the metal frame, plus the thickness of the flange and buy a bolt that exact size and use a T-nut with the barbs removed (they are made for wood). It will keep the bolt from sticking out and have a semi flush finish. The Tee part would go inside the frame. Example: Crown Bolt M10-1.5 Zinc-Plated Steel T-Nut (2-Piece per Bag)-803838 at The Home Depot

Old 06-22-14, 01:26 PM
Group Moderator
Chicago screws might look a bit better and can be held with a tool so they won't spin when tightning. Some tee nuts come with holes for fastening instead of barbs but the Chicago screw is simpler. to install.

Name:  11083.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  7.0 KB

Old 06-22-14, 02:41 PM
Group Moderator
You can also use a long bolt that goes all the way through the frame and cap it with an acorn nut. It's rounded head will protect against scrapes.

Old 06-22-14, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator
For that matter, a carriage bolt inserted from the back of the frame and then capped with an acorn nut on the mattress side would work just fine as well. You'd have to drill the hole in the back a little undersized, then use a file to square it up a bit, doesn't have to be perfect.

Old 06-22-14, 04:54 PM
If the tube is heavy enough to not be weakened by it, drill a corresponding hole on the outside of the tube, just enough larger to allow a socket to slip through, then if you wanted, you could stick a rubber plug in the exposed hole.

Old 06-28-14, 03:43 PM
Thanks all for your suggestions and advice - job completed today using Chicago screws, looks great!

Old 06-28-14, 06:04 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks for letting us know the final solution.

Old 07-20-14, 06:12 AM
Just skimming through this forum and was not expecting to find much. You guys are a really talented bunch, what wonderful suggestions everyone has made.

Old 07-20-14, 09:19 AM
bird65, from the point of view of a DIY novice, this forum is a godsend. The replies in this thread (and it's merely an example of the help I've gotten here) all told me of things I had no idea even existed - and enabled me to finish my little project easily, quickly, and successfully.

Sadly for them, their wonderful replies mean I'll keep coming back here next time I'm stumped!