trying to find a tool that will punch many holes at once

Old 06-29-14, 08:49 PM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
trying to find a tool that will punch many holes at once

This is a long shot, I know. I am doing some leather work where I have to punch many holes for lacing. To punch each hole individually would be a half a days job. I wonder if someone knows of a tool that might punch a lot of holes at once. I will probably have to contrive something myself. I did put nails through a small board with a metal backing and then hit it with a hammer but the leather is too thick for that to work. With luck there is some tool out there that can do it.

Old 06-29-14, 09:24 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
For that you need a machine. You might be able to build something but nothing simple comes to mind unless you own a small punch press.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tO8iXZIT_8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tO8iXZIT_8

Old 06-29-14, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Can't think of a thing. Leather workers just get in a rhythm and knock it out.

Old 06-30-14, 10:38 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
You might be able to talk a shop in your area into doing this for you.

Other than that, I'm not coming up with anything, either.

Old 06-30-14, 10:59 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 783 Votes on 720 Posts
I have made some Rube Goldberg contraptions and I made one for punching a series of holes in sheet plastic. I powered mine with a manual, hydraulic arbor press. I doubt nails would work as they pierce the material but don't actually cut a hole. You'd probably have to use a cutter. Either make them or see if there are some leather punches already existing that you can somehow mount.

In your case you might be able to make a wood frame to hold your punches and use door hinges for a hinge point. I made the punches out of steel tubing that I ground to give a sharp cutting edge. On the bottom I used hard rubber to provide support to the material but resisted being cut by the punches but for light use you might get away with a piece of wood for backing. If you want to get more efficient a punch and die setup would work best and provide the cleanest holes with long term use.

Old 06-30-14, 11:35 AM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Here is a possibility;

Tandy Leather Factory - Diamond Hole Chisel Set

Check it out.

RR

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: