Adhesive for sticking LED tape to under cabinets?

Old 08-02-14, 07:55 PM
Adhesive for sticking LED tape to under cabinets?

The 3M adhesive backing that came with my LED tape lights is failing after less than 12 hours.

I'm afraid than staples will damage the tape. Not sure about liquids. I bought some cheapo two-sided tape that's worthless. What should I use to bond the light tape to the wood?

Also, I need to hide a wire running down the back corner of a cabinet. I bought some brown electrical tape that blends great with the wood only - you guessed it - it doesn't stick at all to the wood.

Such a silly thing but I need some advice. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-14, 08:10 PM
Super glue? Mastic? or construction adhesive. Once on it will never come off with out damaging the cabinet. Be sure surface is very clean and dry. Use small staples to attach wire.

Old 08-02-14, 08:51 PM
Group Moderator
You need to clean anywhere you are self sticking to with lighter fluid. There can be NO grease or the glue won't hold.

I would use a contact cement to hold the strip up. With the contact cement you put a thin coating on the strip and a thin coating under the cabinet where the lights are going. I put the cement on freehand but you can put two strips of tape up just slightly closer together than the width of the LED strip, use a brush for the cement, then remove the tape.

Allow the contact cement to dry. Usually takes 5-10 minutes. When both are dry or just slightly tacky... put the strip up. The bond will be instant.

DAP 32 fl. oz. Weldwood Original Contact Cement-00272 at The Home Depot

Old 08-03-14, 05:09 PM
Great. I'm going to try the DAP tonight. Thanks.

Old 08-04-14, 11:10 AM
Seems to have worked like a charm, so far. The toughest part was getting the lid twisted off the bottle - seems to have glued itself shut.

I also ended up using brown duct tape to hide the wires, and so far the duct tape seems to be sticking to the wood well enough. Way better than the electric tape.

Old 08-04-14, 01:18 PM
Group Moderator
I also ended up using brown duct tape to hide the wires,
Brown duct tape...That's a great tip! Thanks!