What's with these $%^* Moly Bolts

Old 08-04-14, 01:42 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry What's with these $%^* Moly Bolts

Following the instructions, I install it into the wall and then tighten the screw to expand the moly, but the moly turns with the screw and rips out the drywall. The result is I now have a hole in my wall as big as the moly. Totally useless.

What's the trick to these things?

Old 08-04-14, 02:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 289 Votes on 252 Posts
I have no experience with these type of anchors. This is what I found here: Molly Bolts | How to Choose the Right Hanging Hardware | This Old House

How to use them: Seat the round flange flush with the wall surface by tapping the screwhead. Turn the screw to "mushroom" the slotted sleeve against the back wall surface. Take care not to overtighten; you'll know this is happening if the anchor flange starts to depress the surface of the plaster or drywall. Once the molly is secure, unscrew the bolt and then replace it with the item in place
Since you now have a larger home I would recommend toggle bolts or "Togglers". For new wall locations I like to use zinc or plastic "zip" anchors

Old 08-04-14, 02:22 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Be sure the thickness of the wall matches the recommended thickness on the package.

In the end though some molly bolts just don't collapse when you tighten them. Poor manufacturing is the problem. Buying a different brand the solution. The maddening part is you are left with an ugly hole. I've even see packages where some will work and some won't. Maybe just avoiding mollies is the only way.

Old 08-04-14, 03:26 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys. I asked someone more knowledgeable than me and he told me they're designed for hollow doors and not drywall.

Old 08-04-14, 04:13 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I asked someone more knowledgeable than me and he told me they're designed for hollow doors and not drywall.
Then he may not be more knowledgeable then you if he meant all molly screws are for hollow core doors. If he meant only the ones you had then he may be correct. As I wrote the thickness of the wall must match the thickness the molly screws are designed for. In your case probably ".

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: