Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Hardware, Tools, Wood & Metal Working, Home & Business Security > Hardware and Fasteners
Reload this Page >

Clueless re pulley systems. Any suggestions building this pulley lift?

Old 08-11-14, 03:04 AM

This regards setting up a pulley lift for garage storage of bikes / kayaks or other items.

One bike is set- hang front and rear wheels from joist. Moveable pulley attached to seat support pulls the seat and handlebars towards ceiling anchor and bike is near horizontal- nicely out of the way. Couple of similar videos on youtube.

Second bike is the problem. It needs to be lifted horizontally from the very start- best ready made device I have seen so far is from floaterhoist.com --also some kayakers have made some pulley hoists that are similar in function to what I want. Floaterhoist uses 3 ropes- one each to lift the front wheel, rear wheel and seat up towards the 90 degree shaped mounting frame on the ceiling. This requires their particular 3 rope fastening method. I may buy this if I cannot make better to store my bike over the garage door.

Will my single rope version work? Using two pieces of angle iron mounted as a 90 degree V on the ceiling ala floaterhoist. The rope will start at the outside of LEG1 going to the V then along LEG2 and then the rope will then go to a wall cleat.

LEG1- at far end> attach rope-> goes down to a moveable pulley to front bike fork-> back up to a fixed pulley and towards the V.
Horizontal pivot pulleys to bridge rope from LEG1 to LEG2.
Two more moveable pulley set-ups as on LEG1. One for the seat and one for the rear wheel fork.
Rope will then go to a pivot pulley on the wall and down to a cleat.

This version would be stronger and use only 1 rope-- BUT will it work. Will the 3 bike attachment points all rise in a level fashion or will this somewhat unbalanced load rise unequally. I saw some pulley instructional videos that seem to say that load points of differing weight might rise differently on this single rope set-up. Is this true? If it does shift then can I hold or lift one portion to make the other points equalize.

Thanks for any help,
Regards, Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-14, 05:32 AM
Sounds to me like you could use barn door track and trolly to suspend the bike over the garage door. The track would run from the "parking point" above the garage door to a location where the bike could be lifted by pulleys. Once the bike is lifted and fastened to the trolly, the trolly rolls in the track to the parking point.

Old 08-11-14, 03:05 PM
Wirepuller38.
I will look up ceiling mount barn door and pocket door hardware after measuring to see if I have enough sideways clearance to allow for sliding- might not be possible.
Any comment on planned pulley system?

Thank you

Old 08-12-14, 06:10 AM
I had a difficult time visualizing your pulley system proposal. A photo or diagram would be helpful.

Edit below adds comments after watching the video:

I watched the floaterhoist video, which helps explain your narrative.

With a single rope setup, the pulley with the lightest load will rise first. The pulley with the heaviest load will lag behind and the load will change from horizontal to vertical.

If it does shift then can I hold or lift one portion to make the other points equalize.
You will need a third hand since two hands will be necessary to pull the rope. A winch would solve this issue.

Google "swivel pulley" to get some ideas.

Carefully placed swivel pulleys anchored to ceiling joists would probably work using 3 lift points.

Last edited by Wirepuller38; 08-12-14 at 08:17 AM.
Old 08-23-14, 11:51 AM
Thanks Wirepuller38

Change of plans--

After thinking about my overly complicated plan I hit the internet again. I found someone to make some SS 10 inch S hooks that I can attach to angle iron that will be mounted to the ceiling. This will allow me to make a storage device vaguely similar to the one for the first bike.

This will be much more secure in steel and I will not need a purely horizontal lift to place this bike against the ceiling.

The first bike is held to the joists as seen in several youtube videos. Screw in storage hooks- 1 hook @rear wheel, 2 hooks at front wheel (minimizes front wheel twisting as seat is pivoted towards the ceiling). The 2 front hooks seem to torque sideways just a little bit. These 2 hooks are mounted along the LENGTH of a joist and seem secure.

For the second bike the joists run differently and I was paranoid about mounting the bike over the garage door by mounting (cramming) the 2 front hooks into the WIDTH of the joist. The S hooks will also end up being cheaper than an all pulley system.

I could have mounted a 2x4 to the ceiling and used that but I am happier using what I think will be a much sturdier method for this particular location. Will report when done and try to post pics.

Regards,