Need Help Finding Type of Bolt/Screw

Old 08-25-14, 01:16 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need Help Finding Type of Bolt/Screw

Hi all,

I'm going to be putting a new door-handle on my backyard storage shed, and I wondered if anyone could help me with my problem.

I'm trying to find out if there exists a threaded bolt or screw with a head that is neither hexed/square that a wrench could grip, nor has a socket for a screwdriver.

In other words, I want the only way to detach the handles to be by unscrewing the nut on the inside.

I've tried googling this and apparently I'm not asking the right question. I'm a DIY novice, so I may just not know the correct terminology. I haven't been able to find out if these exist, what they're called, or if they are available at anyplace like major hardware chains or big-box stores.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-25-14, 01:21 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
They are called security screws.

Pick and choose here;

SECURITY SCREW Fasteners - Grainger Industrial Supply

RR

Old 08-25-14, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
What kind of handle? Just a regular pull handle of some sort, not a door knob? I'd say a carriage bolt, but that would probably be too big.

They make one way security hardware, which CAN be removed, but would be much harder w/o special tools. You could probably just use a regular screw and put 2 nuts on the inside. Tightened down good, they would probably just spin if someone only had access to the outside.

Last edited by Gunguy45; 08-25-14 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-25-14, 03:07 PM
W
Received 27 Votes on 25 Posts
Bolt

Use any kind of bolt. Use a washer under the nut on the inside and disfigure the threads with a hammer and screw driver so that the nut will spin when the bolt is turned from the outside.

Old 08-25-14, 03:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 847 Votes on 776 Posts
Or use some type of sex bolt.

Old 08-25-14, 04:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 283 Votes on 247 Posts
Why not just use a carriage bolt? They have a rounded smooth head. Install the rounded bolt on from the outside, and the nut on the inside. They are also widely available at the big box and hardware stores.

Old 08-25-14, 04:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Carriage Bolt is an excellent choice as Tolyn said.
In fact, a lot of shed/gate hardware has square holes which are specifically designed to accept the carriage bolt.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: