Best Glue Fastener To Secure Ceiling Made Of Drywall?

Old 09-16-14, 02:58 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Best Glue Fastener To Secure Ceiling Made Of Drywall?

Hi guys,

Due to half arsed work around my house from the people who originally hung the drywall, I have nail pops all over the place. Since I'm doing an extension, I want to make sure it's done right.

I am looking for the best construction adhesive. I considered the 10oz liquid nails construction adhesive, but every so often you have people saying the stuff is garbage (even though it got 4/5 stars).

So...from the professionals here...when you adhere drywall to your ceiling joists...what adhesive do you use?

Thanks in advance

Old 09-16-14, 03:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,416 Votes on 1,310 Posts
I have nail pops all over the place.
That's the problem.... nails not screws.
I have never used any adhesive on ceiling mounted sheetrock but I only use screws and no nails. I've never had a pop issue.

Old 09-16-14, 03:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Liquid nails is a fine product. There are better, but it would be fine if you wanted it as a supplementary holding product. Just remember any adhesive is only on the paper backing, so good screw attachment is mandatory. As Pete says, screws are much better than nails.

Old 09-16-14, 04:39 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
You will want to use an adhesive specifically designed for drywall (it says it on the tube). But IMO, it is a waste of money unless your are installing over a block wall and need extra grab. Drywall screw (course thread) is what you need and a drywall gun that will just sink the head below the surface without breaking the paper. Then, pound all the nail pops back down and set a screw adjacent to it. Mud, sand and paint.

Old 09-16-14, 05:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 854 Votes on 782 Posts
Ceilings should also usually be 5/8" rock which won't sag and pop off nails/screws like 1/2" rock will.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: