Bracket for end of stairr handrail where it meets the wall?

Old 10-01-14, 08:46 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Bracket for end of stairr handrail where it meets the wall?

I’m installing a handrail on the stairs going down to the basement. Nothing fancy, just a typical round rail attached to wall brackets. The total length of the rail is approximately 68 inches.
The problem: In planning the positioning of the brackets, I discovered that the closest stud to the top of the stairs-along the wall to which I am attaching the brackets- is the typical 16 inches from the corner. There is no corner post-just wall into wall. (The sheetrock of the wall in question seems to be nailed to the stud at the wall intersection.)
I am concerned that 16 inches (actually, given the angle of the stairs, the length is approx. 22) is too long a distance for the end of the rail to go unsupported. (Is it?)
The rail can be butted against the wall containing the door/ door frame into the basement, where there is the typical stud framing. My question is: how can I attach /secure that end of the railing?
Is there such a thing as an “end railing bracket”?? or.…???
Thanks in advance, any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

(Mods, if there is a better location for this post please feel free to move it.)

Old 10-02-14, 04:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
16" is not too far to leave extended on the handrail. Code will call for you to make returns to the wall at each end, however to prevent snagging of clothing, etc as you go by. Have you got that figured in, yet?

Old 10-02-14, 07:26 AM
Group Moderator
Received 853 Votes on 781 Posts
Where the bracket butts into the wall, you could cut the handrail at the correct angle, then attach a rosette (mounting block) to the back side of the handrail. Then put the entire thing against the wall and use finish screws to hold the mounting block to the wall.

Another idea might be to put a 1x4 on the wall first, glued to the sheetrock with a little construction adhesive and nailed to the studs. That would allow you to put the brackets anywhere you like.

Old 10-02-14, 09:41 AM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Thanks, gentlemen.
Chandler, the return is already planned for the lower (non problem) end of the railing. The top end, where the problem is, will run up to/butt against the wall, with 0 clearance. Would that be to code?

Xsleeper, as I was trying to think of solutions, I came up with a vague idea similar to your clearly expressed rosette suggestion. I think that I'll be heading in that direction.
Thanks again.

Old 10-02-14, 02:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Yes, as long as it terminates against a wall, you're good. It is just to prevent snagging of clothing items, etc. when transversing the staircase.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: