paneling

Old 10-01-14, 08:38 PM
paneling

I would appreciate some help on attaching 1/8 " paneling to 1/8" paneling.I have a stud finder but so far I have missed more studs than I have hit.I need something that will pull the paneling together tight and possibly countersink slightly so I can put wood filler over screw head.Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-14, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator
Well...you have to find the studs...but trim head screws would work if you push the panels together when screwing.

Old 10-01-14, 09:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
My livelihood depends on finding studs to mount cabinets securely and no guessing.
I never use an electronic stud finder. Magnetic ones work best. You can find where existing wall covering was secured to studs.

Old 10-02-14, 03:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Brian, only if you hit over a nailhead, which is magnetic. I use the sonar (or whatever technology it is) type that pretty accurately shows both edges of the stud. It does deep scan, too.

Old 10-02-14, 05:37 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Why would you be using screws instead of panel nails. Screws are going to just push the top panel away as it hits the second layer.
Look for the ends of the panels where the two pieces meets, installed right that where there should be a stud. Or just look at the panels for the original nails.
I use small pieces of blue painters tape on the ceiling and floor to mark the stud locations then install the paneling.
Also using paneling adhesive helps.
Use a narrow crown staple gun or color matched panel nails to install. Any filler is going to stick out like a sore thumb.

Old 10-02-14, 07:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Here's my favorite stud finder. It isn't for all applications, but for finding studs or joists behind drywall, it's perfect.
The magnet is so strong it can hang from a drywall screw or nail. Name is Stud 4 Sure.

Name:  stud4sure.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  1.9 KB