Need some type of "separator" tool to separate small metal loop

Old 10-23-14, 07:03 AM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Need some type of "separator" tool to separate small metal loop

The outer diameter of this metal loop is 3/4".
It is not a continuous one-piece, it comes together at the top. I put "gap" in the picture but the ends do touch.
I want to separate this metal loop maybe 1/4" in order to eliminate the connecting strings and fit the leather loop on top of the bag itself into the metal loop.
Any tool or technique that will do this job?

Old 10-23-14, 07:52 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Why not just use a large S hook, spring hook, or a safety tow chain connector.
Ultra-Tow Safety Tow Chain Quick Links 2-Pk., 5/16in. | Hitch Accessories| Northern Tool + Equipment
There is no magic expander tool for that hook.

Old 10-23-14, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I wonder if the strings are there to prevent the leather from chafing by being directly attached to metal? And won't a ring cause it to have a different movement from different directions?

Old 10-23-14, 08:09 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That loop looks way too strong to separate with normal chain pliers. Chain pliers are designed to separate thin chain, like a swag lamp chain.

You'll have to wait for some more input. You may have to heat it or find an alternative method, like some type of strong link. A metal link may not have the same response though as the string and you may not like how the bag reacts.

Old 10-23-14, 08:47 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
Will the speed bag still bounce properly if you shorten the connection like that?

Old 10-23-14, 08:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
A pair of bolt cutters should work. Probably leave a sharp edge that will have to filled off.

Old 10-23-14, 09:00 AM
M
I've choked bags way high before, the response is faster which is the goal. I guess I could clamp the plastic ball and use a hacksaw to cut out a section

Old 10-23-14, 09:02 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
Anything you do to open the loop would have to be undone, I would think. Is it not feasible to just re-tie the leather so it's shorter?

Old 10-23-14, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator
I don't think it would be that hard to open it a bit if you really want to. I doubt this is really hardened steel or anything. A pry bar (and a pair of vice grips if the metal loop swivels) inserted in the loop and twisted will probably move it some, then you may need to go with a thicker bar.

It would be much easier if you take it down and have a vise available. Clamp one side of the ring in the vise and pry the loop open. As said, closing it might be the hard part. You'll never get it as tight as it is now.

By all this, I don't mean opening the loop from an O to a U, just prying the overlapping area's apart. If you had a tapered punch of the right diameter you could open the loop and then a vice to close it again. Will make replacing the bag a major operation each time though.

Old 10-23-14, 09:42 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Google this
"steel anchor shackles"
It would be shorter and swing with less resistance and something you can try instantly. They come in a variety of sizes.

Bud

Old 10-23-14, 09:53 AM
G
Because of the swivel ball you're going to have to try to grab the back side of the ring in a vise & twist the eye open with a rod like Gunguy suggests. Problem is any marks left on the eye will chafe the leather loop.

Old 10-23-14, 11:35 AM
A
Received 69 Votes on 63 Posts
Rather than spreading it open, I would twist it open. Imagine holding one half between your left thumb and forefinger and the other half between your right thumb and forefinger, like you were going to tear a piece of paper in half. Obviously need a couple of pliers, but using bare hands as an example. I think that it will be easier and less apt to fracture the metal this way.

Old 10-23-14, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator
Thats what Guy and I were trying to say Pedro...but your example better illustrates it. Still won't be able to close it back to original though.

Old 10-23-14, 12:28 PM
A
Received 69 Votes on 63 Posts
Yeah, was slow in picking up how you meant it at first, until it occurred to me that we were headed in the same direction.

Old 10-23-14, 12:30 PM
W
Received 22 Votes on 21 Posts
Loop

I agree with Pedro. Bending it back together may leave a small gap.

Old 10-26-14, 10:02 PM
M
When I bend it back I'm ok with a small gap as long as it isn't big enough for the leather loop to fly through - I'll try the tear-bending idea before I saw off a chunk

Old 11-03-14, 07:46 AM
M
I used a vice grip on the unopenable side, stuck in a thick screwdriver on the openable side and pryed it carefully not to damage the connection to the plastic ball.
No more extra length due to string (not to mention tying/retying when worn) and no metal on metal (I had a metal shaving scratch my cornea years ago from this)
Bounce/response is great, thanks for the suggestions

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: