Type of fastener for Female Star Knob

Old 12-04-14, 05:23 PM
Type of fastener for Female Star Knob

What kind of fastener do I have to use for those female star knobs? I went to Home Depot but the ones they have are too short I need 3/8 about 2" long all the had was 1" in length. They had the female ones and the through ones where you use a bolt of any lenght and that's what I need but for some reasons I have a feeling that screwing it would work but unscrewing the knob wouldn't be possible as the inside of the knob is perfectly round usually they have a hex cap in the plastic so the knob has something to grab on but not those ones. The guy at HD told me that any bolt or screw with a 3/8 thread would work!!! What about the through ones? Would a threaded rod work?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-14, 05:32 PM
Group Moderator
Home Depot is not a real hardware store. Try a real hardware store. An all-thread rod may be your best option.

Old 12-04-14, 05:36 PM
If I understand correctly, using a threaded rod will require a double nut to jam against each other inorder to have something to grab onto and turn the rod in to the knob. The HD guy was correct, any headed bolt will do.

Old 12-05-14, 01:59 AM
Knob

There are several types of star knobs. Post a photo of the type knob you have.

To what will the knob be attached?

Old 12-14-14, 08:51 PM
Exactly like that one

http://www.woodcraft.com/Images/products/600/142232.jpg

And I did a test with other knobs too like the closed type
http://www.berger-tools.co.uk/series...arge_photo.jpg

Both do the same great to tighten but when untighting the knob comes apart from the thread. I think the female types are meant to tighten or screwing down where the threaded rod or the bolt is attached to the material. I'll try some red loktite and see if it would hold.

Old 12-15-14, 03:10 AM
If the plastic is stripping from the threaded stud then you must be putting an enormous amount of torque on the unit when tightening it. Probably more that what it was designed for. I have used a wrench on several of these units and never had the stud strip out from the unit. In fact the plastic edged have broken or cracked but never stripped.