Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Hardware, Tools, Wood & Metal Working, Home & Business Security > Hardware and Fasteners
Reload this Page >

What kind of adhesive can hold plastic brackets to concrete walls?

What kind of adhesive can hold plastic brackets to concrete walls?

Old 02-03-15, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red face What kind of adhesive can hold plastic brackets to concrete walls?

I live in a building that has reinforced concrete walls. I want to hang mini blinds but I do not have access to a hammer drill. I was thinking about hanging the brackets to the walls with a strong adhesive. I tried liquid nails when I needed to hang curtains but that did not work at all. I ended up using 3m hooks for that. Can anyone suggest something strong enough to hold the brackets to these walls?
I did a search on J B weld- KwikWeld and LOCTITE construction adhesive. The reviews were mixed on both. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-03-15, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 146 Votes on 114 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum! I guess you can't mount them inside the window rather than outside? I really don't think any glue is going to work. Never heard of anyone doing that.
Maybe if you're never, ever going to touch them, but any handling is sure to bring them down.

Old 02-03-15, 12:08 PM
I do not plan to move them, ever. I was hoping to mount them inside which seems to be painted over steel. I even considered magnetic blinds but mine isn't metal, magnets do not stick.
Thanks for replying.

Old 02-03-15, 12:30 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 792 Votes on 729 Posts
Anything stuck to the painted surface will only be as strong as the paint. If you have a steel surface there are magnets with hooks, a threaded stud or a threaded hole in the center.

Old 02-03-15, 12:42 PM
If you're sure the inside is steel (check with magnet), that can be drilled.
Most people think steel is hard, but it's actually pretty soft. Use a sharp bit, regular drill and oil the bit often. Use a punch to mark center of hole so bit doesn't walk.
You would then tap the holes for machine screws. Self tapping screws might work, but I'd go with the tap first.

Old 02-03-15, 01:03 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If you have a regular portable drill, you should be able to drill fractional size holes for the necessary anchors. Check Tapcon for one site for the correct drill bit and anchors.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: