Anchoring board and batten shutters to brick

Old 02-22-15, 09:23 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Anchoring board and batten shutters to brick

Im fixing to add some board and batten shutters to the exterior of my brick home. I would rather fasten them into the mortar than the brick but I know from experience over the years mortar usually doesn't hold to well. What are the best fasteners to use? I would like to be able to remove these shutters in the future to be able to refinish them. I don't want to end up with a lot of holes in my brick where these shutters are installed. I would prefer to use something I can pick up form Homedepot, Lowes or even ACE Hardware. The shutters are made of wood and I plan on drilling a small counter sink into the wood for the fasteners. I will be staining the heads of these fasteners to match the shutters also.

Old 02-23-15, 06:50 AM
W
Received 22 Votes on 21 Posts
Shutters

Are the shutters working shutters with hinges or are they decorative shutters to be mounted to the brick wall?

Old 02-23-15, 07:05 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I've found lead expansion anchors work best.

Old 02-23-15, 08:41 AM
Group Moderator
Received 792 Votes on 729 Posts
Definitely agree with Joe on this... lead anchors and lags. If you plan on removing the shutters from time to time, a lead anchor is the only way to go. A tapcon screw would work for a while, but problem with that is that the hole would eventually get stripped out the more you run the screw in and out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: