Replacing demountable hinges

Old 03-15-15, 09:13 AM
Replacing demountable hinges

I am revamping my small master bathroom, and part of that project is painting the pine vanity - and I am painting it white. The existing hinges are very unattractive with the white paint, so I thought I would replace them with nickel hinges. After a trip to HD with no luck, I have spent about an hour online trying to figure out what these hinges are, and now I know. Single demountable 3/8" inset hinge, in antique brass. Also, no longer made, of course.

Every cabinet in my dang house has these same hinges. They look fine with the wood of course, but awful with white. Given the way that these hinges work, I don't think it is feasible to try and replace them with another type - I can't see how another type would work. I guess am pretty much relegated to painting the hinges white and living with it.

Any ideas?

**edit...okay I did some more research and it looks like I can get the look I want with paint. The "how to's" say to soak the hinges in a metal cleaner. I can't find anything at the local HD - any suggestions?

Last edited by yardnut; 03-15-15 at 09:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-15, 09:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...rt-images.html

Can you post a picture or two? See link.
You should have some options.

Old 03-15-15, 10:41 AM
Well they are DOUBLE demountable...not single!!

So I took the other hinge off the door, and it is a DOUBLE demountable - not a single. So I went back and looked where the first hinge came off, and apparently I unscrewed enough of the little inset piece off of the first one that it stayed in the little channel in the door frame. I pulled it out...and voila!

3/8" Inset Hinge, Double Demountable - Demountable Hinges | HardwareSource.com

Also on Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Amerock-BP8700...ountable+hinge

THAT^^ is the hinge, in the color that I want. With shipping, it looks like $15.00 for 4. Just as a learning process though, I think I might try painting the old ones, just to see the result.

Old 03-15-15, 10:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Those are interesting. I'm a cabinet guy and have never seen hinges like that.

Old 03-15-15, 11:20 AM
Honestly I had forgotten that these hinges were like this. I had redone my other bathroom several years ago and left the old hinges on, even though the color was unattractive. So now I know why didn't replace them - you can't buy these hinges in Home Depot or Lowes...and I just never bothered to research them.

I think they are kind of cool...but man that is a lot of work to have all the cabinet doors and frames with those little channels carved out. I guess that was how they did it 20 years ago. :-)

Apparently others have found them to be a bit confusing!

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/an...-hinges-30409/

There is a good description of them here, and why they were used, about halfway down.
http://hardwarechronicles.blogspot.c...e-created.html

Last edited by yardnut; 03-15-15 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-15-15, 11:32 AM
Group Moderator
I have never seen those type hinges either. I had to chuckle reading the reviews on amazon in regards to those hinges.

Old 03-16-15, 09:08 AM
Most of the reviews were excellent - so I am hoping that they are as good as the ones I have. Honestly I have not had to adjust or mess with these hinges for the entire 17 years that I have been in the house. They fit tight, and hold well. I did soak, scrub, and paint them yesterday, they look SO much better - it's unreal how dirty they had become, and how much better they look now. I put the doors back on this morning, and I gotta say - these things are just a snap to use. So easy to put in and adjust. I can see why they were so popular!

I mentioned them to my co-worker - and he has the exact same hinges in his house.