Simple old style (bent metal) drawer slide?

Old 04-14-15, 05:33 PM
Simple old style (bent metal) drawer slide?

Hello,

I recently acquired an antique flower sifter (see below picture) that fits only by being mounted from the top, which is fine. But the issue is that it doesn't extend far enough.

I thought about replacing the slides currently in place, but i'd rather leave that be and simply just add a slide of sorts on the top as a secondary slide.

The issue is, any typical drawer slide is meant to be mounted on the side supported by ball bearings, etc, or mounted on the bottom. I haven't seen anything that supports being mounted from the top essentially causing the slides to be "pulled a part" by the weight its holding.

I don't have any sort of metal tools to make something, but the flour sifter uses a simple slide made of bent metal, basically the same principle as a wood slider in a way.

Does anyone know where one might find just a simple bent metal drawer slide, or a modern day slide that can support weight being pulled away from it, or any other ideas?

Thanks.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49378[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-15, 04:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is this a picture of YOUR sifter? Rockler's carries a number of full extension slides, but I doubt you will find any that mount on the top, as most carry weight as shown in the picture or from the bottom. If this isn't your sifter, post a picture of yours so we can see what you see.

Old 04-15-15, 05:24 AM
Group Moderator
Search for "bottom mount drawer slide". Rockler has them as do many other retailers.

Old 04-15-15, 03:17 PM
chandler
Is this a picture of YOUR sifter? Rockler's carries a number of full extension slides, but I doubt you will find any that mount on the top, as most carry weight as shown in the picture or from the bottom. If this isn't your sifter, post a picture of yours so we can see what you see.
Hi Chandler, It is a picture of the one I purchased, here are some more pictures.

I did look through Rockler, and as you mentioned, they all seem to be based on supporting weight on their "sides". I though about getting something more industrial like these that hold more weight and possibly over compensate the different hanging style. I called them and said it could be possible, but they obviously dont warranty/support it.

I have thought about some hacking solutions, but i'd really prefer to hang from the top, so my only option might be to replace whats currently on there. I suppose it would look better than two sets of slides, but at the same time i'd hate having to lose it.

Pilot Dane
Search for "bottom mount drawer slide". Rockler has them as do many other retailers.
I had thought about bottom or center mounts, but those are also made in a way where the weight is keeping them together, if I were to flip them upside down, I doubt it would be able to hold the weight pulling them apart.

Thanks.

Old 04-15-15, 03:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I am confused. The slides you have on the unit now are "side" slides, not "top" slides. You can't mount top slides due to the fact you need access to the lid. I don't see why a full extension set of slides wouldn't work. Am I missing something?

OK, 10 seconds of thought process. You are wanting to mount the "mount" on slides, is that correct? Why, since the hopper slides out for access and refilling?

Old 04-16-15, 06:34 AM
Correct, mount the mount on slides. So additionally to the current side slides, which don't extend far enough, I thought about adding sides between the mount and the top of the cabinet as a second set of slides to extend even further.

Any other sort of configuration to try and make the new mount slides attach via the side as theyre intended too would require a hack job.

Old 04-16-15, 07:59 AM
Group Moderator
Below is a picture of bottom mounted drawer slides taken from the Rockler webpage. They do exist.

There are many other websites that also carry bottom mount drawer slides.

I would also look for double or triple extension side mount slides that might fit. That would be a much cleaner looking solution if you can find something that will fit in the space.

Old 04-16-15, 12:18 PM
While that would fit in this scenario, my concern with those undermounts is that in normal usage the weight is pushing the slide together, in my application it would be about 5~10lb of weight trying to pull them apart instead. I would be concerned over time that they would break and fall on someones head lol.

Perhaps my best option would be to replace the current sliders with longer ones.

Old 04-16-15, 01:16 PM
Easier said then done seemingly..

The current slide is 3/8" wide, 1.25" tall, 11" long, and extends to 20.5".

Very small selection of 3/8" wide it seems, and the the cabinet i'm placing it in can only support an 11". Ideally the sifter would need to extend out close to 25".