Door Hinge Hole Rapir. Caps/Covers?

Old 04-27-15, 11:27 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Door Hinge Hole Rapir. Caps/Covers?

I have two hollow doors that have holes in them from where the door stop has punctured through. Instead of replacing the doors, I was hoping there was something I could use to patch the hole. Something like a cap that I could use. Maybe drill out a hole and then plug it with a cap.

Anyone seen anything like this?

Old 04-27-15, 11:44 AM
P
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
You could put a kick plate across the bottom of the door. It would be a metal plate that goes across the bottom of the face of the door. They are available in various metal finishes. I don't know of anything you would use to try to patch the hole that would hold up if it is in the hollow portion of the door.

- Peter

Old 04-27-15, 12:08 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It is on the top of the door using one of these: http://www.wildwesthardware.com/hook...brz%20copy.jpg

Old 04-27-15, 12:16 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 786 Votes on 723 Posts
Many home centers sell plastic discs with an adhesive backing that can be stuck on walls to protect from door knobs hitting. It might work on the door. It could cover the hole and spread the load over a broader area so the stop hopefully won't poke through again.

Old 04-27-15, 12:28 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
You might get by with cutting the damage out to a square hole and then cutting and gluing in a piece of wood then applying a thin coat of spackling or joint compound over, sand, prime and paint.

Old 04-27-15, 02:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I have used contact paper in wood grain of all things. Just cut a circle out a little larger than the hole you have and glue it to the door matching the direction of the grain and smoothing it out with a credit card edge. It isn't too obvious.

Old 04-27-15, 02:33 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
.... I forgot to mention earlier get rid of that type of door bumper/stop!! they always cause damage because they contact the weakest part of the hollow core door. It's better to have one mounted to the baseboard where it will contact the door in an area that isn't hollow.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: