appropriate hinge inquiry

Old 07-20-15, 12:45 PM
appropriate hinge inquiry

I'm going to be installing home-made opening/closing exterior shutters on the 15 or so windows of a utility building, two shutters each window which will thus require four hinges per window so about 60 hinges total. The 3-inch narrow hinges are just the style that will work for these particular shutters The zinc plated type are apparently "corrosion-resistant" but of course if not protected further in the outside environment will eventually begin to rust anyway. Then of course there might be stainless steel hinges of that style but I'm sure they would be very very expensive. I am hoping for advice/opinions on whether if I just get these less expensive zinc plated ones and give them a good coat of paint and/or other coating it should add a significant degree of corrosion resistance/protection (what kind/type of paint or coating might work best?). As mentioned, this is just a utility building and I'm not too concerned if the hinges might start to rust a little over a long time, appearance wise, but then again I don't want them rusting real soon to the point of being overly unsightly or potentially busting from corrosion on a relatively short term. Trying to get by on the cheap here if I can.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Any comments appreciated.

Last edited by sgull; 07-20-15 at 01:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-15, 02:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
A little more in price, but stainless can't be beat, when you want to install and forget them. Everbilt 2-1/2 in. x 2-1/2 in. Stainless Steel Narrow Utility Hinge Non-Removable Pin (2-Pack)-20257 - The Home Depot

How will the shutters be held in an open position. Are you planning on shutter dogs for that? Otherwise, they will flap in the breeze.

Old 07-20-15, 03:06 PM
Yep Chandler I would like to install and forget them. But those stainless steel ones you linked happen to be the 2 1/2 in. size, which I also already tried fitting in the zinc plated type but it seemed to me the 3 in. size was a little more substantially appropriate than the 2 1/2 in. size for my shutters. Chances are I might not be able to find 3" in that style (I didn't see them available at the HD website anyway). I hadn't heard of shutter dogs before you mentioned them but I otherwise had planned on installing a little hook and and eye like these, one for each shutter, to keep them from flapping in the breeze: http://www.amazon.com/Crown-Bolt-625...N%3DB005M8HGXE

I think though that some type of very basic shutter dog would be the more proper way to go about it. By the way the shutters are made of rough cedar boards that match the cedar siding. Clear stained. Maybe home-made shutter dogs using that same matching cedar wood? Otherwise I suppose stainless steel shutter dogs would be getting rather spendy.

Old 07-20-15, 06:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
For your latch, consider this one since wind will tend to unlatch the unprotected one you link to. Stanley-National Hardware 2 in. Safety Gate Hook-CD8441 2 GATE HOOK 2C - The Home Depot

Yeah, dogs could get expensive
Ekena Millwork Power Coated Cast Iron Shutter Tieback (2-Piece)-NR254 - The Home Depot

Old 07-20-15, 06:56 PM
Yeah dogs at that price will be out of the question. Will have to figure out something cheaper to hold the shutters from flapping in the wind. Actually not too excited about the little hooks and eyes to hold the shutters open. So maybe will have to get creative make my own dogs and hope they look okay and work as they should. Probably will use the little hook and eye to keep the shutters latched closed though. thanks