Need Cabinet Hinge Upgrade ASAP!

Old 09-07-15, 10:36 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: United States
Posts: 5
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need Cabinet Hinge Upgrade ASAP!

We've been in our house for nine years, and I am tired of dealing with our cabinet hinges. They are face frames with 1/2" overlay, FYI. I can never get the doors perfectly straight, they are constantly coming loose, and 2-3 per year break.
Here is the type I have:

Name:  IMG_8672.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  23.2 KB

There seem to be at least a couple of design problems with this. First off, the front/back adjustment is also the screw that attaches it to the cabinet frame, and it constantly fights a war with the in/out adjustment screw, eventually loosening up and need to be completely re-adjusted. Second, the cabinet mounting plate is of cast construction, which especially with the heavier doors, eventually leads to:

Name:  IMG_8673.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  35.7 KB

So, I am looking to change all of the hinges over time. After one broke recently, I found that they did not seem to be making this hinge any more (surprise!), so I replaced it with one of these, which I found at Home Depot and which seems not to have the design flaws of my current hinges:

Name:  IMG_8674.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  41.0 KB

I found a similar unit at Amazon: Salice 106 Face Frame 1/2in Overlay 3 Cam Screw On - Cabinet And Furniture Hinges -

The cost for these would be really good, but I don't want to end up just as unhappy as I am now. I also don't want to pay the $15/hinge some of the other makers want.

Does anyone have experience with these hinges, or some wisdom to give me about this choice?

Old 09-07-15, 10:44 AM
Join Date: May 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 3,138
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
No experience with that brand, sorry. You may want to checkout options at Woodworkers Hardware (online). They sell a number of quality brands and prices usually pretty good. While you are at it, you may want to look at soft close hinges. They are available in same format I think, and are really a nice upgrade. I've use Blum, Hettich, and Amerock and they are all quality brands.
Old 09-07-15, 03:25 PM
Handyone's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: U.S.
Posts: 5,450
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Salice is OK, but Blum sets the standard for hinges. Below is link to a Blum Compact hinge. You might not like this particular hinge, it is soft close and the force cannot be adjusted. The soft close can be switched off however if it is bothersome.

Blum 105 Degrees Compact 38N Series 1/2" Overlay Screw-On One Piece Design Cabinet Hinge. - Cabinet And Furniture Hinges -

Whichever you choose, I highly recommend you get a special Pozi-Drive Screwdriver. These drivers do make a difference when adjusting hinges. A regular Philips head screwdriver will not grab adjustment screws properly, making your day not good.

Drawer & Cabinet Installation | Tools | Pozi-Drive Screwdriver
Old 09-14-15, 05:39 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: United States
Posts: 5
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Those Blum hinges look like exactly what I want, and the price is not bad.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: