Bolt feels really warm after screwing, should I be concerned?

Old 10-07-15, 03:00 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bolt feels really warm after screwing, should I be concerned?

I'm installing a TV mount. I used a fairly cheap Zircon stud finder. The hex-head "carriage bolts" that came with the mount are a good 2 1/2" long, so it took a socket wrench to get them in all the way. The head of the last screw I tightened feels really warm, but the bolts on the other stud feel normal. Is that just heat from the friction of screwing in, or did I hit something I shouldn't have? I don't feel a shock or buzz when I touch them, so I don't think I hit a live wire.

For what it's worth, the wall is constructed of wood paneling on top of wood studs, with a cinderblock firewall behind the studs. My studfinder indicates the studs are about 4" wide, which leads me to think they're sideways. My screws may be going so deep they're getting into the cinderblock firewall.

Old 10-07-15, 03:30 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
It's not uncommon for a screw/bolt to heat up when being turned. IF the bolt is still warm [1/2 hr later] then you have a problem.

Old 10-07-15, 03:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 288 Votes on 251 Posts
My studfinder indicates the studs are about 4" wide, which leads me to think they're sideways.
That would be the normal thickness for a standard framed wall. 3 1/2" for studs and 1/2" drywall.

Old 10-07-15, 04:05 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
hex-head "carriage bolts"
Carriage bolts have a round head with a square shank directly under the head and then a straight round shank the rest of the length ending with machine-screw threads and a standard machine-screw nut.[ATTACH=CONFIG]57123[/ATTACH]
(Image courtesy of boltsplus.com)

More likely you used lag screws which have a course thread that drives into wood.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57124[/ATTACH] (Image courtesy of weiku.com)

Because there is a great deal of friction developed when screwing in a lag screw it is common for them to become noticeably warm.

Attached Images   
Old 10-07-15, 06:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,404 Votes on 1,299 Posts
I use an impact gun and a little bit of bar soap when I put them in and they still get warm.
If you shorted something out.... a circuit would be tripped. The bolt wouldn't get hot at all.

Furd..... you need some bigger pictures..... I couldn't see them from across the room.)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: