Removing a stud with minimal room to operate in

Old 10-23-15, 10:08 PM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Removing a stud with minimal room to operate in

The stud (bolt) is on an exhaust manifold of a car.

I don't have access to a welder, have no idea how to weld (a nut on), and there's not enough room in there do do much of anything but barely slide a socket up in there much less a vice grip.

On that note, the autocraft stud remover it too thick to fit over my stud since the bolt broke off and I don't have much of the remaining bolt sticking out.
The autozone loaner kit of 6, 8, 10, & 12 mm stud remover "sockets" either don't fit or kind of fit but don't "grip" the bolt adequately enough to turn the bolt, I'll start to turn and then it "slips".
Is it possible a German car is using a standard (as opposed to metric) sized bolt?

The real question is what other method or tool is available to "grab" the bolt and allow a socket to twist it out?

Old 10-24-15, 05:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Michael, what type car is it? Can you post a picture of the area in question? I had a 1986 Nissan Hardbody truck and it was 100% American parts, no metric. Could be your situation.

Old 10-24-15, 06:42 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Are you talking about one of the studs that holds the engine pipe or a stud that goes into the head? Would there be better access, if you removed one of the wheels?

Try the socket again but try to tighten it just a hair. If you can get it to move in any direction, it could loosen the rust. Don't forget to spray it with PB Blaster. WD 40 sucks.

If you were going to weld anything, it would be an extension, on it. Then you could grab it with a pipe wrench or vice grip. I saw an old European guy do it once. He heated the manifold, squirted oil, on the stud & rocked the stud with a vice grip. The heat expanded the manifold while the oil kept the stud contracted. In 5 minutes, he had the stud out.

Old 10-24-15, 02:23 PM
M
tried using an impact wrench with the stud remover bit, no joy.
the first pic is the bottom view looking up, the second pic is from the top looking down

Old 10-26-15, 06:38 PM
M
Finally got it out, here's how:
a) used a grinder with a small diameter metal wheel and a thin blade to chop the remaining bolt down to the stump.
b) used metal drill bits, starting with the skinniest on up to drill through the center of the bolt. even with a decent sized hole it wouldn't budge so I kept increasing to a fatter drill bit until there was virtually only thread left.
c) I hammered at the remaining shell of the bolt until it appeared to loosen.
d) used a vice grip to wiggle/twist it out the rest of the way

Old 10-27-15, 06:11 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Well done! Can I call you if I have any broken bolts?

Old 10-27-15, 08:49 PM
M
You can call and I can try to advise but I can't come over - this was a nightmare. When I started the drilling one of the smaller bits broke inside the bolt and I never got it out, I simply had to drill through/around it. About halfway through the drilling I used one of those extracting screws. That was useless, not only didn't it extract the bolt because there was hardly anything for a wrench to "grab" but it got itself lodged in there and I had to get it out.

Old 10-28-15, 03:40 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I know that they can be a nightmare. I've been in similar situations. Hopefully, neither one of us will have to do it again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: