Glue gun/sticks for outdoors/tough jobs..

Old 11-21-15, 12:24 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Glue gun/sticks for outdoors/tough jobs..

do they exist?

probably not the gluegun that's important but more so the glue..

anyone know if you can get glue sticks that have strong enough bonding to be used outdoors... like gluing wood together etc?

something that packs some oompf and not just for paper etc.. :-)

Old 11-21-15, 03:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
It is doubtful, but possible. I would recommend using something like Gorilla glue, which is activated in the presence of water and is not water soluble after curing. There are many outside adhesives available that may not adhere as fast as hot glue, but would be more permanent.

Old 11-21-15, 06:44 AM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Don't think of this as a regular glue gun, it is commercial grade and used to hold tack strips to concrete and then have a carpet stretched over it. Powerful grab and quick cure. Not sure if you are using pressure treated wood for your project and if this would work. But do a little research and see if it will satisfy your needs. I am constantly finding new uses for mine. There are videos showing the versatility of the product.

http://www.amazon.com/HB220-Adjustab.../dp/B002YGTGWG

I have no affiliation with this company, only own one of their products.

Old 11-21-15, 06:49 AM
J
Received 83 Votes on 78 Posts
What is it your trying to do with it?

Old 11-21-15, 09:23 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Here's another option; along the lines of czizzi's gun, and with a variety of adhesive options. It uses hot melt polyurethane that has initial strength due to the holt melt, but also develops more strength due to polyurethane component acting like gorilla glue. I think all of the adhesive options are 100% waterproof so should be suitable for outdoor use. I've only used it on wood and in that application it is extremely strong. One downside is limited shelf life of the adhesives once opened.

HiPURformer A Revolutionary Solution

Old 11-21-15, 09:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,343 Votes on 1,241 Posts
Pressure treated lumber is usually oily and that presents its own problems.

Old 11-22-15, 01:44 AM
S
I might end up looking at gorilla glue but I'd really like to find an option for a gluegun... I'm sick & tired of normal glue gunking up, drying up, spilling etc...

Old 11-22-15, 01:49 AM
S
czizzi.. thanks.. I'm looking at the PAM glue gun.. but unfortunately I'm in Europe(Denmark) and PAM is only available from the US which'll give me all sorts of tax issues & probably also voltage issues..
but I found an alternative which I believe is exactly the same gun:

Klebepistole B├╝hnen HB 220 Ausbeulwerkzeug ausbeulen PDR Klebetechnik EDELMANNHB220: Amazon.de: Auto

this is the german amazon shop so I'm using google translate & just comparing the product code & the picture...

next issue is finding the proper gluesticks..

Old 11-22-15, 02:08 AM
S
PJMax.. thx I know.. Right now I'm just looking for a solution that will cover many different applications..

Old 11-22-15, 02:21 AM
S
joecaption . Nothing specific right now just looking for options :-)

Old 11-22-15, 05:44 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 752 Votes on 691 Posts
Ah, you are wanting/have a hot glue gun. Knowing that helps.

Here is a link to the adhesive guide on the 3M website. The beginning describes the different sized sticks and then it lists adhesives to use for different applications.

Old 11-22-15, 11:04 AM
Group Moderator
Just be advised that the hot glue is of limited holding power. When you get a particular project in mind.... the question about hot glue could be re-asked at that time.

Old 11-22-15, 12:14 PM
S
Hi PjMax...

so you're saying that Hot Glue isn't as strong as all that?

are you saying that you can't get glue-sticks that'll bond properly?

I realise I'm looking for a general glue that'll just bond strongly to anything.. but I'm open to having different sticks for different applications...

Old 11-22-15, 02:42 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 752 Votes on 691 Posts
Hot glue can have it's uses but there is a reason there are so many liquid adhesives. It's a type of glue but it's not the ONE glue perfect for everything.

Hot melt is great. It is quick to apply and it reaches it's ultimate bond strength in seconds as the glue cools. But it is only one type of glue and it has it's limitations. It does not work on all materials and there is a reason hot melt glue is largely used only in specific industrial and craft applications and why other liquid adhesives are more commonly used. Yes, liquid adhesives can go bad once you open the tube but it's one of those facts of life you've just got to deal with.

--
On my hobby bench right now I have; hot melt, 15 minute epoxy, 5 minute epoxy, plastic epoxy, foam safe CA, thin medium and thick CA, Gorilla Glue and Shoe Goo. There is no ONE perfect glue for every application. Yes, hot melt is great in that it can sit for years without going bad but that's balanced by it's limited uses. Oh, and it burns your fingers.

Old 12-21-15, 11:25 PM
S
thx guys..

I guess I am really trying to find a glue that actually works and had my hopes pinned on the hot glue alternative to normal glues..

I've gone through a lot of glues that just didn't cut it :-|

Old 12-22-15, 12:58 AM
Group Moderator
If you have a SPECIFIC application or a repair you need to make.... please tell us about it.

There is NO one glue good for everything. Hot glue has an extremely limited usability range. It's designed to be used in "quick holding power" applications. It's great for a hobbyist. I use it all the time for quick repairs inside and out....but not for building or wood construction projects.

It could be used to hold moldings on a house but it isn't going to work gluing 2x4's together.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: