Eliminate leak from bolted connection

Old 12-20-15, 08:27 AM
Eliminate leak from bolted connection

I recently prepared my 1-year old snow thrower for the season and find I have a leak from the drain plug bolt. I've attached a picture. This is similar to the oil drain plug on any motor except it's not flush.

The connection is tight and it takes 3 days for the oil to show but it clearly is leaking. Because of how the drain protrudes I can't find a way to improve the connection but I'm certain there must be a washer or other fitting I can use.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Tony P.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-15, 08:44 AM
Is it leaking from where the plug screws into the extension or from where the extension screws into the block?

Old 12-20-15, 12:04 PM
Is it leaking from where the plug screws into the extension or from where the extension screws into the block?

At the plug.

Old 12-20-15, 12:29 PM
There's probably a tiny nick or scratch. With such a slow leak, I'd probably clean the oil off as best I could and then smear a little pipe joint compound (like rectorseal) on the bolt, especially the flat surface that mates to the end of the extension. Better would be a flat washer made out of gasket material or even thin rubber, if you can find or make one.

Old 01-02-16, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the reply. In case anyone accesses this thread, I'll report on what happened. I did a lot of research and ended up using a rectorseal product called tru-blu because I saw vibration to be a potential issue. I applied a small amount to basically fill the groves and it worked fine - leak stopped.
BTW, the instructions say to stir before using but I found this virtually impossible due to the viscosity.