Attach new tires to wood-cart axle

Old 12-31-15, 11:08 AM
Received 11 Votes on 9 Posts
Attach new tires to wood-cart axle

I've had this wood cart for several years but in good condition. It's basically two rounded frames about 16" apart with a 5/8" axle that extends 2 1/4" from each back end. The original tires were held on the axle by a cotter pin that went thru a hole near each end of the axle. The tires got really bad so I bought new tires... the same size, BUT the hub on each one is 2 1/4" wide.
This extends the hub over the entire axle, including the hole for the cotter pin.
The hub hole is prob 1/16" wider than the axle, so the tire falls off in use.
How would you modify the end of the axle so the tire doesn't come off? Or, would you shim the space around the axle somehow to make the tires so they won't come off?

Hope the pics come out.

Name:  IMG_0184.jpg
Views: 933
Size:  36.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0185.jpg
Views: 854
Size:  25.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0187.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  27.7 KB

Old 12-31-15, 11:16 AM
Received 318 Votes on 285 Posts
Is that axle rod removable or is it welded to the frame? If removable I would just replace it with a longer one to accommodate the new wheels. Is the axle rod available (still extends beyond the wheel hubs) even after new wheels are fitted on? If so I would drill a new cotter pin hole on axle and use wide washers to shim against the wheel hub and just let the cotter pin hold it on.

Old 12-31-15, 11:48 AM
W
Received 27 Votes on 25 Posts
Wheels

Find wheels with shorter hubs. They do exist.

Old 12-31-15, 11:54 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I'd drill a hole in the ends of the shafts, use a tap to thread it, and then put a bolt and a washer or two on to hold the wheel. If it's 5/8 shaft, I'd probably drill and tap for a 5/16 bolt. If you use some threadlocker on the bolt, it won't unscrew from the action of the wheels.

Old 01-01-16, 10:38 AM
the axle rod has a restrictor welded to it on the inside to keep it centered (you can see it in the pic). I could just cut the rod in half and remove it and put a new one in... I'll try the drill and tap thing later today, but the rod is hard steel so I'm not so sure I can drill it easily. I'm going to the store so I'm gonna look for an option to slide a metal shim between the axle and hub... don't know if I can braze the metals to hold and still be able to heat it up to break it apart if needed. I already bought the tires so I don't think I want to look for new tires, but it's an option still.

Old 01-01-16, 11:22 AM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Do you have anybody that can cut off backside of hub 3/8 to 1/2" to make room for cotter pin on front side. The bearing is a shoulder bearing and will remove easily. Replace it after narrowing the hub.
A band saw would make quick work of it. Could be narrowed by facing in a metal lathe.
If you have a right angle grinder it could do the job. A little slow.

Good Luck!

RR

Old 01-01-16, 12:39 PM
Well, after unsuccessfully trying to drill into the axle (damn hard steel) and trying to force a shim into the space, I've decided to go buy a couple of new wheels.

Old 01-01-16, 04:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 292 Votes on 254 Posts
If you do not find some new wheels, or want to keep these, you could remove the center part that is bolted to the rim and replace/make a new one that better fits.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: