What's the Right Burr Size for Grinding Off a Screw Head?

Old 01-08-16, 01:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What's the Right Burr Size for Grinding Off a Screw Head?

I have a Phillips screw with a 1/2-inch diameter head that I want to remove. The head is recessed with about 1/16 inch room around it. The screw has a broken easy-out in it. There is no way to cut a new notch and use a flat-blade to remove it, so I must grind off the head.

I have a die grinder and a Dremel tool. I'm leaning toward a single-cut head. I can spend around $30 for the burr tool. I don't want a cheap chinese tool because it will wear before I get the head ground off.

What burr would be best for the job?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-16, 02:39 AM
Group Moderator
Received 475 Votes on 445 Posts
I'm not sure if any burr is going to be able to cut the easyout. The little grinding discs would probably work but I'm not sure they'd fit in there.

When I have screws that I can't get out...... I'll cut a little notch on both sides of the head and use dykes (big wire cutters) to grab the head via the notches.

Name:  Broken EZ Out 3.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  26.7 KB

Old 01-09-16, 09:18 AM
Received 42 Votes on 36 Posts
I agree with PJmax. You will have a difficult time finding a burr tool that is harder than the EZout so best option is to cut it out with a metal cut=off wheel using a cross pattern. Is the damaged screw a flat or pan head? What is its diameter and what is the diameter and depth of the broken EZout? Can you remove the panel the screw is securing. Answers may allow me to give further advice. Good luck.