Reattaching metal spring to step-on trash can

Old 04-13-16, 07:28 PM
Reattaching metal spring to step-on trash can

Hi I have an older plastic Umbra step on trash can that is in great condition. Somehow a small metal part detached, which makes the top spring close after you release your foot off the pedal. I cannot figure out how to put it back together so it works. Would someone be able to guide me? I have taken a photo of the part and also the inside of the can, and the whole can itself. Name:  IMG_2463.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  27.8 KBName:  IMG_2462.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  30.7 KBName:  IMG_2464.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  14.5 KBThanks, Joy

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-16, 07:51 PM
Group Moderator
Usually with those pails..... the weight of the cover is actually what closes it.

With that metal piece out.... does the lid move when you step on the pedal ?
We might need a picture looking down into the pail with no top on or bag in place.

Last edited by PJmax; 04-13-16 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-15-16, 03:38 AM
The lid will open when I step on the pedal because on the back end of the pail the step pushes up a bar which pushes against a lever in the top. This makes to cover of the opening to slide back. However it does not spring back into place when I release the pedal anymore, now that the metal piece is out. In the first photo in the original post, you can see the plastic lever at the back of the topName:  IMG_2465.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  32.1 KBName:  IMG_2466.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  31.4 KB Thanks, Joy

Old 04-15-16, 04:45 AM
Group Moderator
Look carefully at the plastic pieces you have. Whenever something "comes unhooked" it's often because something has broken. Most often it's the plastic where it mounts.

Old 04-15-16, 07:31 PM
Yes I had inspected it and see nothing broken. It's a pretty simple set up. Unless there is a spring that broke or bounced off and I haven't found it?? I was hoping someone has a similar trashcan which they could look at and see how the piece goes back in place.