Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Hardware, Tools, Wood & Metal Working, Home & Business Security > Hardware and Fasteners
Reload this Page >

I damaged the cable on my come-along. Need diagnosis on how to remove fastener.

Old 05-27-16, 12:17 PM

Hi, first-time poster here. I damaged the cable on my come-along (see photo 1). I want to cut away the damaged portion of the cable, and make do with a shortened cable. Trouble is, I have no idea how to remove the fastener (see photo 2). I have three questions:

1) What is the name of the piece?
2) How do I remove it?
3) How do I fasten it to a different part of the cable?

Thank you!

Name:  IMG_20160526_211624489.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  29.9 KBName:  IMG_20160526_211634412.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  19.9 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-16, 12:33 PM
That part is crimped onto the cable so to remove it you need to destroy it or just cut off that piece of cable. I think what you are trying to do it shorten the cable by cutting off the bad cable and putting a new end on it. Google the term "steel cable crimp ball shank" and you will get an idea about the fittings. You will need two tools. One to cut the cable and another to crimp on the new end.

- Peter

Old 05-27-16, 05:38 PM
Group Moderator
I think you'll find the tools required to repair the cable cost enough that you'll consider buying a new comealong.

Old 05-28-16, 04:58 AM
Super Moderator
To fasten the hook to the newly cut cable you will need to remove the swivel piece that is fastened to the hook.
Put a properly sized thimble on the hook, insert wire through hook eye and onto thimble then clamp tight with a cable clamp.
Two clamps are better than one.

Old 05-28-16, 06:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'll have to vote with Dane. Too much expense and too much risk at modifying the unit. Buying a new one with larger cable will alleviate your initial problem of the cable snapping. You don't want whatever fastener you put on it after market to fail under load.

Old 05-28-16, 09:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have 4-5 comalongsa and I've made repairs on a coupld of them BUT I don't use the repaired ones if I need complete trust in it and would never use those 2 if failure could cause injury or damage.