What type of drill bit is safe on food?

Old 05-30-16, 04:46 PM
What type of drill bit is safe on food?

I was wondering if stainless steel drill bit is safe on food, something like an auger drill bit or doorknob hole drill bit. I'm looking at using it on water mellon, for example.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-16, 04:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Why in the world would you want to use a drill to cut into a watermelon?? Any you mentioned will work on food, just go slow and get ready for a shower of watermelon guts. Clean the bits before and after. Before to remove contaminants, and after to remove the sugars that will rust it. Auger bit, no, and you will have to hold a hole saw very steady to keep it from walking.

Old 05-30-16, 05:51 PM
Thank you for the response. I was wondering if there is any special chemical that was added to stainless steel drill bit vs. other stainless steel e.g. knives, pots, and pans that it would not be advisable to use it on food. I am thinking of making designs on watermelon and other food items with power drill bits.

Old 05-30-16, 05:55 PM
It's better to trace the cap from the vodka bottle and cut it out with a small paring knife so you can replace the plug when you're done filling it.

Old 05-31-16, 04:19 AM
Any drill bit will do the job safely if it's be disinfected before using.
It's not the steel that will cause the contamination, it's what could be growing on it's surface.
Any pro chef's knives are likely carbon steel instead of stainless.