Hinges for tri-fold panels

Old 11-15-16, 04:37 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hinges for tri-fold panels

I need to make a tri-fold display board for my wife. I plan to use some 1x4 boards and some lauan. I hope to be able to fold both side panels behind the front panel. However, to do that, I'd need to have one of the sides fold behind the other side as well. That would require a hinge with a gap in the middle. I've forgotten what those hinges are called, though. Could someone point me in the right direction? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-16, 04:59 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The easiest way to do this is to have one side hinged on the front and the other side hinged on the back. Then one side folds in front of the center panel and the other side folds in back of the center panel.

The other way to do it is to add a spacer to the back edge of one side. The spacer is 1/2 of the panel thickness plus a bit. Add an identical spacer to the corresponding back edge of the side panel.

Now the side without the spacers will fold back tight against the back of the center panel. Then the side panel with the spacers will fold back over the first side panel. The spacers provide the clearance for the first panel. By using two spacers, each 1/2 panel thickness, the fronts of all the panels will be flush when open.

If you do it that way, the center panel will have to be a little wider than the side panels to allow room for the spacer.

If that's not clear and you need a sketch, let me know.

Old 11-15-16, 06:04 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Makes sense. Thank you. Any ideas for locking the panels together, and adding a handle? I guess I could just screw a handle to the side on the front of the center panel...

Old 11-15-16, 07:27 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
For something like this, you want a solid latch that won't accidently come undone. Depending on the width of the frame members, you could use suitcase latches. Or, if those are too long, then consider using double hung window latches. Depending on size of the panels, I'd probably use two for each moving panel, total of 4. But one on each panel would be enough if the panels are only a few feet tall.

I like leather strap handles for things like this because they don't stick out much.

Good luck with your project!