Squeaky floors

Old 05-02-01, 11:28 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

In my home that is only 5 years old the plywood flooring underneath the carpet is squeaking loudly. Odds are the builders never used adhesive or the nails are backing out. Anyway- I was wondering if there was some fastening type thing that I could drive through existing carpeting/pad to tighten the plywood back down. Or even better, some advice on using something like drywall screws without damaging the carpet or causing bumps.

Thanks in advance!
Jon

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-01, 03:11 PM
Hi jon,
I haven't tried it myself yet though I did see a kit at HD for just such a problem. It came with a plastic tool and set of deck screws. I had read the directions quickly and it appeared that you snapped the heads from the screws after driving them through the carpet and plywood and into a floor joist. The kit was in the section with the floor adhesives for the vynil......

Old 05-13-01, 09:00 PM
josh1
Visiting Guest
do you have underside access to the floor that is squeaking?

Old 07-14-01, 02:13 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi Jon,the squeaks are probally where builder missed the floor joists with a air nailer,and nails are rubbing on side of joists.Go to Home Depot and buy a box of 1-5/8" (one and five eights inch)long trim screws,and screw into joists.the next time you replace the carpet you can redo all squeeks easily.Pull any nails squeaking and replace with 1-5/8" coarse threaded drywall screws.The trim screws have a head not much bigger than the shank of the screw.CAUTION......If you have berber or any other continuous fillament carpet never screw into the carpet as the screws will grab fillament and you will pull a run wall to wall before you know it.use nails instead.