Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Hardware, Tools, Wood & Metal Working, Home & Business Security > Hardware and Fasteners
Reload this Page >

How to temporarily clamp a 1/4" extension support board to a 1/2" shelf

Old 07-25-17, 08:22 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have a simple diy shelf that I use to set my laptop on. It is about 9.5" in depth, 21" wide, and 6 1/4" high. The board is 1/2" plywood.

What I would like to do is temporarily add something like a 10" x 16" x 1/4" board, so that I could place a swivel stand on it. Since the shelf rests flat against a side wall, and the laptop (in tent view) sets at an angle, which is slightly cramped, this would give me the room necessary for a full 360 freedom of movement.

My question is; is there some kind of, I don't what it would be called exactly, flush mount clamp, that would allow me to clamp the board to the back of the shelf, and still keep the shelf flush to the wall?

I found some glass shelf clamps that seem to be the right idea, but none are big enough, whch I'm thinking would have to be about 3/4", at least. Here is the link:

https://www.amazon.com/Chrome-Finish...f+Clamp++20+mm

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-17, 12:02 PM
I'm not sure I'm following what you want to do...

9.5" in depth, 21" wide............10" x 16" x 1/4" board
So you want to make the shelf a total of 19.5" deep?

I'm thinking make the new 1/4" shelf 19.5" deep and sit it on top of your existing shelf instead of trying to attach it to the back.

Am I way off or close? Post a picture and that will help a lot.

Old 07-26-17, 01:33 AM
F
No, I do not want to make the shelf a total of 19.5" deep, rather, 9.5" (shelf depth) plus the extension board (16") placed on top would equal the length of the extension board (16"). This gives me an additional 6.5" out from the wall. I would then place a 10" swivel/turntable on top of the 'secured' extension board, thereby allowing for much more freedom of movement.

I have tried to create a drawing of what I'm talking about. The DIY shelf sets on a platform.

Name:  DIY SKETCH DRAWING .png
Views: 82
Size:  73.5 KB

Old 07-26-17, 11:33 AM
How about something like this, a 3/4" U shaped shelf edging/stiffener:

Name:  shelfedging.JPG
Views: 74
Size:  38.1 KB

The only other ideas I have involve drilling holes for threaded inserts (tee nut).
The tee nut would be installed on the bottom of the shelf and a flat screw inserted from above.

Everbilt 1/4 in. -20 tpi x 5/16 in. Zinc-Plated Tee Nut (4 per Pack)-802301 - The Home Depot

Old 07-27-17, 12:24 PM
F
Thanks for the information. I like the idea about the shelf stiffener, but really can't use the "T nut" idea; don't want to scew into the surface of the shelf at all.

Can't really find a bargain deal for a short length of shelf stiffener online, which is mainly how I shop.

I'm including an image drawing of how I intend to secure the front of the extension board, in case you might have been wondering.

Name:  DIY SCETCH DRAWING  [2].JPG
Views: 62
Size:  28.1 KB

Old 07-27-17, 01:43 PM
Just an idea. Move the front "bracket" to the rear. No screws needed into the bottom of existing shelf, although the bracket will push the shelf a little off the wall.

Your home made bracket will wrap around the back of the shelf and no support required in the front, just let it cantilever over the front and hang.

Old 07-28-17, 12:58 AM
F
Not sure what you mean.

I do think the front of the extension board needs to be secured. And I do like the idea of the wrap-around fastener for the back of the extension board.

You did give me this idea:

Name:  DIY SKETCH DRAWING [3].JPG
Views: 81
Size:  26.1 KB

I think if I used a 1/4" thickness and pre-drill the holes for the "clamp around" fastener, I could make it 3/4", and mallet it on. I guess I could try it anyway, I think I have everything I would need. I don't think the extra 1/4" would make much difference for the shelf flush to the wall problem, and I don't think the wrap-around clamps would be in the way, and probably wouln't show either; but not really going for a perfect look, more a make-do work-around.

Let me know.

Old 07-28-17, 09:45 AM
I think your idea will work....

I stumbled on the following bracket, they are for bathroom partition walls and might be just what you need:
https://www.tphsupply.com/wall-brack...u-bracket-0198

Old 07-28-17, 09:59 AM
Here's another bracket from the same web site:
https://www.tphsupply.com/u-brackets...u-bracket-1189

Old 08-02-17, 10:04 PM
F
Know where I could get something like this for a reasonable price?

https://www.amazon.com/Graham-Field-...1P6R3NNNRHDWWZ