Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Replacement hinges for welded steel door frame

MA

08-06-17, 08:26 AM   #1 (permalink)  
Replacement hinges for welded steel door frame

My house was built in the 1950s and all the door frames are steel with one side of the hinge welded to the frame. The linen closet door was missing when I bought the house, and I've been looking everywhere for 3.5" replacement hinges that fit (new standard hinges have a skinnier pin and knuckles that are too big - see picture). The strike plate says Steelcraft on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Name:  IMG_20170806_130716650.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  20.4 KB

Attached Images

Last edited by Miniondave; 08-06-17 at 11:23 AM.

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

PA

08-06-17, 10:26 AM   #2 (permalink)  
Try McMaster-Carr They have everything.

In our hearts, we all know that it's wrong to harm an animal and that we should take action to protect them -
Patrick McDonnell

Adopt a shelter pet!
Spay or neuter your pet!
Please don't leave pets or kids in a hot car!

MA

08-26-17, 09:12 AM   #3 (permalink)  
Half-surface hinges worked!

I'm going to leave this post up if anyone else is searching for the answer. After much research I bought National Hardware half surface hinges (N133-306) from Home Depot (had to order online and wait for pick up in store) and they work perfectly! The pins come out by sticking an allen wrench or a nail in the hole in the bottom and giving it a good hit or two with a hammer. You can then take the cap off the bottom by hitting with a long nail or allen wrench from the other side. I was only able to find half surface hinges in the brass color but I'm just going to spray paint them white to match. A lot less work than trying to cut off the old hinges and install surface mount hinges through the steel frame!

National Hardware 3-1/2 in. Half-Surface Hinges-453 3-1/2 HS HINGE BRS - The Home Depot

Search this Thread