Replacing Tires on Hand Truck

Old 08-26-17, 04:43 PM
Replacing Tires on Hand Truck

I "inherited" a hand truck from my uncle, but the tires are flat. I can't seem to figure out how to remove the old ones. See photo. What are my next steps? Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-17, 05:04 PM
Group Moderator
To remove the tire it is the same as any other tire, you need to pry the bead over the rim. If you just want to remove the entire wheel, remove the center cap. There might be a retaining clip or castle nut under the cap but I doubt it.

Old 08-26-17, 05:19 PM
Maybe you just want to inflate these (tubeless ?) tires.

They might be good candidates for some of that latex tire sealer in the aerosol cans.

Meanwhile, just to get the beads sealed, you might try putting a rope tourniquet around the center of the tire tread with a stick to twist it tight, and set the rim on something elevated while you twist the rope tight around the circumference and try to simultaneously inflate it. This has worked for me on wheelbarrow tires and riding lawnmower tires.

If you can't monitor the tires to insure they don't deflate again, I would consider putting tubes inside these tires . . . . at a cost of $8 to $10 apiece.

Old 08-26-17, 06:32 PM
Vermonts suggestion is the best one so far.
There is no need to remove the tire to just inflate it.

Old 08-27-17, 05:11 AM
Group Moderator
Little hand truck tires very often have a slow leak after the bead has been broken. So, even if you can get them re-inflated you're likely to have trouble with them. You could put an inner tube in it but replacement tire assemblies are so cheap I wouldn't bother. I'd just replace the whole wheel. Before shopping pry off the axle cap and measure the diameter of your axle. 5/8" is the most common in the US but 1/2 and 3/4" are also a possibility.

Old 08-27-17, 05:16 AM
you need to pry the bead over the rim
If you need to remove do not use tools to pry the bead off, one nick and they are toast.

You just have to get the opposite side down into the middle of the rim which gives you enough room to slide the other side off the bead.

They can be tough but once you've done it a couple time they come right off!

The tires look to be in good shape, have you confined if there are tubes inside?

Old 08-27-17, 06:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Might not be worth fixing, found wheel and tire for around 6 $
https://www.harborfreight.com/catalo...10%2F3.50+tire

Old 08-27-17, 06:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
As a couple of others mentioned, I just went to Harbor Freight & picked up 2 new mounted tires about as cheap, or cheaper than I could worry with repairing the tire, adding a tube or replacing the tire only. Check your tire size & match it at the store.

Hope this helps.... good luck.

Old 08-27-17, 07:22 AM
Thanks for all the replies. What is the recommended method for prying the cap off? I tried doing it with a large flathead screwdriver but was afraid I would bend the rim.

Last edited by Tiggy; 08-27-17 at 07:52 AM.
Old 08-27-17, 07:52 AM
It may be that both tires just need air (which is cheap).

I think I'd just set them in the sun without any weight on them, and see if they'll regain their approximate shape, and then see if you can re-inflate them. I doubt that they even have to be removed from the unit, let alone from the rim.

I doubt that there's any "repair" necessary . . . . how often do you get two flats on the same unit at the same time ?

These guys have just been sitting in the corner unattended, and all of the air seeped out. They still look new.

Old 08-27-17, 08:42 AM
Vermont apparently you were correct. It turns out the tourniquet method was all I need to know to get these inflated for now. I don't even have the basic knowledge of how tubeless tires work but now I do! Love this forum! Youtube ultimately helped me, but I didn't know to search "inflate a flat tubeless tire" if it weren't for this forum.

Old 08-27-17, 08:50 AM
Great; you saved some money and avoided the hassle of applying the "big" solution to the "tiny" problem !

Watch those tires for a month, and if they continue to seep pressure, you may benefit by deflating them and running a small amount of vaseline around the bead to solve that problem for a longer stretch of time.

Good luck using that dolly . . . . don't let it just sit there,

Old 08-27-17, 01:20 PM
In case you do end up having to replace the tires, to answer your question on getting those caps off, you're on the right track in just prying them off, but I would use something like a flat pry bar, or sometimes you can pop them with a pair of adjustable pliers. What you would find if you go that way is that the axles has dimples that those caps fit around. And yes, you will most likely distort the caps removing them, but I've generally been able to straighten them back out over a socket, bolt, or other round piece of steel. If that doesn't work, you should be able to find replacements at your local independent hardware store.

Old 08-27-17, 02:18 PM
I just went to Harbor Freight & picked up 2 new mounted tires about as cheap, or cheaper than I could worry with repairing the tire, adding a tube or replacing the tire only
Ugghh, the throw it away mentality again!

So why inquire if you dont want to learn how to fix!