Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Hinge Unmatched Sides?

VA

10-09-17, 11:49 PM   #1 (permalink)  
Hinge Unmatched Sides?

I'm just getting started changing out all of our ugly shiny brass door hardware, and when I look to see what kind of new stuff to buy, I find these hinges on our exterior doors (front, patio, garage). What's going on here? The jamb side has radiused corners, but the door sides are square, on all three doors. Is this normal? I'm not a hinge expert, but I've never heard of this and can't find any reference to such a setup. The only thing I can think is the builders got a deal on doors with squared mortises, but the jambs had radiused mortises, so they took radiused and squared hinges apart and put them back together with one side of each. Actually, the second picture, which is the door to the garage, is metal, and looks to have no mortise. The hinge is screwed to the flat surface. Is that normal on metal doors? Shouldn't the hinge at lease have matching sides though?

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

TX

10-10-17, 12:41 AM   #2 (permalink)  
Square hinges are used on hand made mortises. Radiused corner or for power mortised doors. Both are common. I'd suggest square corner hinge and use a corner chisel to square the radius mortises.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

10-10-17, 03:25 AM   #3 (permalink)  
It's odd but then it's hard to say what all has happened during an older house's life. I agree with Ray with using squared hinges for the replacement. Make sure you get the right size hinges. The screw holes may or may not line up with the new hinges.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Forum Topic Moderator

NE

10-10-17, 05:19 AM   #4 (permalink)  
That was common on a few door brands.... I'm not sure that these are an exact match, but they are similar.

4 x 4 x 5/8 Radius Leaf x Square Corner Residential Stainless Steel Hinge, Deltana SS44058TA32D - Doorware.com

VA

10-10-17, 07:40 AM   #5 (permalink)  
OK, I guess it's not unheard of then. Thanks for the link, so I can see that these are actually made that way. In fact, now I find a few other examples, such as this:

https://www.amazon.com/Polished-Squa.../dp/B01NBNIEML

So I'll either measure real carefully and get something like this for direct replacement, or square off the radius mortises as suggested, that's a good idea.

Thanks everybody for your help!

Search this Thread