Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

latch for pet gates made from wire shelving (for closets)

01-12-18, 10:51 AM   #1  
latch for pet gates made from wire shelving (for closets)

We have six foot tall pet gates made from the wire shelves used for closet shelving. Other than the latches used for rabbit cages that my arthritic fingers can't work or time-consuming bungee cords, we can't figure out a quick latch/fastener to use to keep the opening between the two opposing (upright) shelves closed. The issue is the gates separate an aggressive cat (our permanent cat) from an anxious one (a foster), and the aggressive cat will work on the gates until he can open them. He then attacks the anxious cat. I'm attaching pictures of the gates made from the wire shelving for closets. Another issue is that we go through these bloody gates dozens of times a day, so we are constantly stuck at the gates trying to re-secure them. Open to any suggestions. (And yes, we are trying to find a home for the foster cat, but we have never had much interest shown in him. He doesn't have exotic markings, is overweight (working on that) and is not a lap cat, so he's not easy to place. What we would give to return to our pre-gated life!) Thank you!

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NC

01-12-18, 11:09 AM   #2  
It's really hard from the photos to see what part is the gate and what part is the cage. Your first and last photo appear to be of the top. Is that where the gate is located?

01-12-18, 02:00 PM   #3  
I'll get more photos

Sorry, they are confusing. I'll get some better photos showing both open and closed.

Thank you for responding!

01-12-18, 02:38 PM   #4  
Sorry, here are more photos that show the gate all the way open, partially closed, almost closed, and closed (from several angles for closed position). The entire 6' of what was originally shelving is the cage, and the opening, which has to be closed is that long, as well. It's really more of a room divider than a cage, though it serve the purpose of a cage. The shelving pieces separate the parts of the house, so that each cat is restricted to one side. The foam boards on top that are seen in some photos are used because one of the cats will climb over the entire arrangement to get to the other side.

The entire 6' of the opposing shelves has to be closed, but that's easy by overlapping them as seen in the photos in the closed position. It's keeping the aggressive cat from working whatever I've used (bungee cord, binder clip, clothespin) to secure the gates to each other that is the problem. I'm hoping for some way to keep the opposing sides closed that's fast to use, easy on deformed fingers, but secure against a single-minded animal. Thank you so much!

Attached Images

Group Moderator

NE

01-12-18, 03:06 PM   #5  
I would imagine that you could just put a spring clamp or clothes pin on the top ( or middle) when they are closed. If they are smart enough to push it open on bottom, a clothes pin down low would probably be about all you need to clip the two together.

Where the shelving "hinges" at the corners, you could use zip ties to provide a hinge point. 3 plastic zip ties per corner. One up high, one down low, one in the middle.

If you want something more secure, get 2 pieces of 1x4... about 6" long. Place one on the back side of the gate, and one on the front side of the same gate. Then screw them together to affix the board onto the left gate so it can't move. Then place a thumb turn hasp on that board. When the other gate closes, it will slip over the thumbturn, which if you turn it 90 degrees, will lock the gates together.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/National...P-ZN/204310753

Use the thumb turn portion only, throw the other half with the hinge away.

Last edited by XSleeper; 01-12-18 at 03:23 PM.

Search this Thread