Does OSB Grip as well as Lumber?

Old 04-24-18, 08:24 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Does OSB Grip as well as Lumber?

Would a wood screw driven into either OSB or plywood grip as well as an identical wood screw driven an equal depth into a common 2 x 4? Would there be any great difference in the amount of weight or force the screw would support before being stripped out of the respective woods?

Old 04-24-18, 08:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
OSB is thought to be somewhat weaker than plywood. Can't tell you how much... too many variables. And wood is generally more stable than either one, but tree differs from tree. A lot has to do with if the hole is predrilled, whether the size of the predrilled hole is the optimum size, the size of screw, type of thread, along with variations within the product itself.

Plywood is preferred over osb by most flooring installers, for example.

Your question is pretty obscure, maybe if you told us what your purpose for asking is...

Generally anytime you are putting a nail or screw into plywood or osb, you want a solid 2x4 BEHIND IT, which is what really gives it the strength to resist pull out. The 2x4 should be fastened to the framing, then when screws or nails are fastened to the backer they aren't just into plywood or osb. That way your nail or screw is into something 2" thick or more, not just 3/4 or 1/2.

Old 04-25-18, 05:04 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Here is a .pdf that has more information than you probably want. I don't have the patience to read it but just skimming it appears to be research about how well screws hold in varying materials.

Old 04-25-18, 10:45 PM
J
"Your question is pretty obscure, maybe if you told us what your purpose for asking is."

I was thinking about putting long strips of 1/4" plywood or OSB as shims in certain stretches of my old existing wood fascia, along the bottom and screwing new metal fascia up into that. If the short screws would grip OK into the strips, I'm good. Otherwise, I need to use longer screws which will go through the new metal fascia, through the shims and into the existing wood fascia.

In case you're wondering why the shims are necessary, it's because the old fascia on the east and west sides of the house are 1/4" shorter than the fascia on the north and south sides. The corners would look neater if the fascias are all the same height. I'm thinking it would be easier to shim the short fascias than to shorten the longer ones with a jig or power saw.

Old 04-26-18, 04:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
For a shim i would use 1/4" plywood. Fascia doesn't weigh hardly anything so there is no danger of the screw pulling out. You would just need to staple your 1/4" strip enough that it doesn't sag.

Old 04-26-18, 07:05 PM
J
Excellent, thanks for the advice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: