maul handle replacement

Old 06-18-18, 11:17 AM
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
maul handle replacement

Got this old Craftsman brand 6-lb splitting maul that I wouldn't mind trying to restore to usable condition. Obviously needs handle replaced. The new model Craftsman splitting mauls like this (that I've seen online) don't have the wooden handle. I'm just wondering how I could maybe acquire a new wooden handle that will fit this maul just right. Seems to be a pretty limited selection of replacement handles these days at the home centers , hardware store where I live anyway. It would need to fit just right of course. Are all these type handles for axes, mauls like this, etc, pretty much the same standard configuration and pretty much any generic handle about the right size will fit, or not? I compared the top of the handle (showing through at the top of the maul head) with the top of a handle showing though the top of an axe head I have, and the shape/size seems not exactly the same. What's a good source for finding the appropriate replacement handle for this maul, or will it be too much trouble to bother with? Plus of course if I can get the handle replaced I'll clean up the rust off the maul head and sharpen it. But just worried about being able to get the right handle first. Any comments appreciated.

Old 06-18-18, 12:03 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 112 Upvotes on 97 Posts
looks like there is a couple different styles for splitting mauls but you could probably find a generic one that would work.
Striking tool hickory wood replacement handles; axe handle, hammer handle
as per is it worth fixing probably, but wood handles do eventually break especially if you happen to miss and hit the handle witch appears to be what happened to this one. though but for splitting wood would much rather use a Fiskars x27 than a traditional maul.

Old 06-18-18, 12:42 PM
Ok thanks alan for the helpful reply. I'll perhaps follow up by contacting that outfit...

Old 06-18-18, 02:59 PM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Looks like you need the one at the bottom of the list.

Old 06-18-18, 03:10 PM
T
Received 74 Upvotes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by sgull
Seems to be a pretty limited selection of replacement handles these days at the home centers , hardware store
Just replaced a sledge handle with one from the BB store, had to rasp the end a small bit to make it fit, but with the wedges supplied, it fit like it was new. Probably tighter than when I bought it.

Originally Posted by alan73
especially if you happen to miss and hit the handle witch appears to be what happened to this one

They sell handle protectors (rubber collars) for that. I've missed a few and never an issue, the rubber absorbs the blow, though it does give your arms a bit of a vibration.

Old 06-18-18, 06:20 PM
Looks like you need the one at the bottom of the list.
Hard for me to say for sure. The one at the bottom of the list (the number 5636) is described as "single bit" and I don't know what that means, plus it is described as being 36" length whereas I measured measured the full length of my old handle and it's 34".

The one second up from the bottom of the list (the number 5200) is described as for "D.B. eye types" and I don't know what that means. The length mentioned is 32" to 36" and my old one is a 34" so maybe that's the more appropriate replacement?

Measuring the top of the eye hole of my maul head, I get a length of 2 7/16" inches, and the widest part of the oval measures 15/16".

So at this point I cannot be sure which of those two on the bottom of the list would work best. Any further comment/advice appreciated. thanks

Old 06-19-18, 05:36 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Call the dealer and give them the measurements. They will help you choose the correct one. A couple of inches extra handle length is a good thing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: