drill out spot welds?

Old 06-22-18, 12:05 PM
drill out spot welds?

I need to remove a stainless steel bracket thing off of a stainless steel box thing that houses a paper towel dispenser thing in a commercial type restroom. The thickness of the stainless steel is just 1/16" but still I'd like to get the bracket removed without banging up and bending etc either the bracket or the box if I can help it. It's just three spot welds, and i do have a few various punches I could try using if necessary to try to maybe get kind of a starting dent into the top surface of the weld(s) and then hopefully be able drill through the weld(s) the rest of the way. Does that sound like a feasible/reasonable method or is there an easier/better way to go about this? Kinda difficult to get the punch held and centered just right to try to make a little dent in the welds, and I want to avoid buggering it all up. I looked at youtube but there seems to be quite a number of ways to drill out spot welds depending on the situation, types of tools, thickness, material, person doing it, etc. but I had no luck finding close to my situation as described above.
Any comments/advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-18, 03:03 PM
Group Moderator
I use a center punch to make a dimple in the exact center where I want to drill. Spring loaded punches work best as you're not whacking with a hammer so there's no risk of denting the metal. Then I start with a new/sharp 1/8" drill bit. Run the drill at a medium speed with good force pushing on the drill. A drop of oil on the drill bit doesn't hurt. Then I step up in drill sizes enlarging the hole until it's the size needed. As you move to larger drill bits turn the drill at slower RPM's and put a drop of oil on the tip of the drill.

Sharp drill bits are almost a requirement. The pilot (first) drill absolutely must be fresh and sharp then the enlarging ones after that only have to be pretty sharp.

If you are using used bits and one of them doesn't seem to be cutting don't keep going. The friction can/will harden the stainless making it even more difficult to drill. Keeping the hole oiled helps a lot.

Old 06-22-18, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the helpful reply Pilot Dane. I'll give it a go heeding your advice, and post back with a success story afterwards (hopefully)....

Old 06-22-18, 04:27 PM
Having a tough time finding a spring loaded punch. My small town around here the two retail outlets that sell tools don't have them. Would it be one similar or maybe the same as this type: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013H1U2V0...5-ed9df460b72f

Old 06-22-18, 06:32 PM
Success story: Managed fine without a spring loaded punch, although would've probably been nice to have one. Followed the advice given and was able to accomplish the job without buggering it up. There are four restrooms total I need to do this identical thing to, so now one down and just three more to go. Next three should be a breeze now that I know what I'm doing. thanks again