Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Hardware, Tools, Wood & Metal Working, Home & Business Security > Hardware and Fasteners
Reload this Page >

Fastener advice needed for installing metal bracket to basement wall

Old 06-23-18, 09:53 AM
O
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I purchased this exercise bracket but have not installed it because it didn't come with any information or fasteners. Here's the link.

I want to install it on my basement wall which is cinder-block (I assume rebar reinforced with concrete, since it's been standing for over 50 years and still standing.)

There are two brackets - total height 6' and total weight 10lbs. It calls for 6 fasteners and the openings for the fasteners are 1/2" diameter. It is intended to be installed vertically, the first bar from floor to 3' and the second from 3' to 6'.

What I'm concerned about is providing support for whatever weight is applied during exercise. The exercise bands are practically weightless, but the largest weight output at maximum stress of the bands themselves is 25lb. But how much weight will be added to load by both the body weight of the exerciser and the maximum stress of the exercise? Let's figure for body weight up to 250lbs.

The reason why I ask this question is that I was looking on Home Depot for possible fasteners. On one product, I don't remember which, a user asked if the fastener in question would hold a 100lb plaque securely onto a wall. A product representative gave a complicated answer about the weight capacity including stress from pressure or movement being 850lbs and, therefore, the fasteners would support a passive weight of 100lbs.

That's when I began thinking of all the complications in considering how to install these bars.

Hoping this is an easier issue for someone to solve than it has been for me/

Old 06-23-18, 11:42 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Of blocks are hollow you may be able to drill between the webs and use toggle bolts. If solid you could use expansion bolts.

I assume rebar reinforced with concrete, since it's been standing for over 50 years and still standing
I'd drill a couple of test holes to see.

Old 06-23-18, 03:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
Old 06-23-18, 03:33 PM
O
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks both ray2047 and xsleeper.

I'm going to contact powers fasteners for more informatio

Old 06-23-18, 03:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
All the info you need is in their product information pdf.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: