Screws holding hinges to face frame have failed

Old 07-01-18, 09:05 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Screws holding hinges to face frame have failed

Both #8 x inch, manufacturer-installed screw holding the hinges onto the face frame have pulled out. The threads per inch on the original screws are fewer than the threads per inch on a #8 wood screw. I plan to drive glue covered wood plugs into the original holes. After the glue holding these plugs in place has dried, I will bore pilot holes and then install #8 x 1-1/4-inch, wood screws into the original holes. Do you approve my procedure?

Attached Images    

Last edited by LKV1; 07-01-18 at 09:10 AM. Reason: mis-spelling
Old 07-01-18, 09:21 AM
Received 489 Votes on 453 Posts
Not sure how a screw fails, looks like the material gave way but plugging with a glued in dowel and re attached should be stronger than the original!

Old 07-01-18, 09:26 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I agree, gluing in a dowel is the appropriate fix although sometimes if it's not too bad you can get by with shoving toothpicks in the screw hole and then screw the fastener back in.

Old 09-13-18, 01:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I need to do the same, but with the hinges on an interior door. I think the screws were tightened too much and stripped the wood on the door frame.

I am going to go with glued in dowel, but I think I need to create a jig to hold my drill in place so that the hole is more clean.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: