What is this? / Where can I find one?


Old 07-04-18, 12:30 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What is this? / Where can I find one?

Hi Everyone,

First time poster. I moved into a house with a beautiful back deck, that has these strange brackets/clamps attached to the boards to hold shepherd's hooks and poles for bird feeders to hang on.

I've attached some photos to this post. If, for some reason, the photos are turned sideways 90 degrees counter-clockwise, I apologize for that. Not sure how to fix it.

Does anyone know what these are called? Or, where I can find more? I'd like to use them all over.

Thank you!

Name:  m1.JPG
Views: 182
Size:  47.5 KB

Name:  m2.JPG
Views: 169
Size:  43.3 KB

Name:  m3.JPG
Views: 182
Size:  71.2 KB

Last edited by BackstreetZAFU; 07-04-18 at 12:53 PM. Reason: enlarged/reoriented pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-18, 12:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1,087
Received 48 Votes on 41 Posts
It looks homemade to me............
Old 07-04-18, 01:29 PM
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 26,222
Received 722 Votes on 668 Posts
You will want to take your specifications to a local welding shop. That's probably where they came from in the first place.
Old 07-05-18, 05:44 AM
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 748
Received 6 Votes on 5 Posts
Agreed, that does look like a custom design, but it would not be difficult to re-create. The most difficult part of copying that will be cutting threads for the holes. As an alternative you might weld a nut over the hole. The nut provides the threads and it's easier than tapping new threads but changes the aesthetics.

The thought i had was, do you like receiver end above the level of the floor? Does it create a tripping or snagging hazard?
Old 07-05-18, 08:50 AM
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 45
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I remember seeing those (but not that exact design) on a gardeners website within the last few months. It may have been an advertisement in Mother Earth News. Buying pre-made if you can find them would certainly be preferable to going to a welder, they seem to be charging exorbitant prices lately even for simple work. Do some serious checking on the net.

I would second CycleZen's comment about it's height, when not in use it seems to be at least a tripping hazard sticking up that high, and potentially fatal to children or even yourself if you fell onto one.

If you do not mind the look, you could make your own from electrical conduit of either galvanized or plastic, and use heavy plumbing straps to secure them. Tapping a hole for a set screw (if even necessary) would be another matter. You could then just drill a screw through the pipe at the bottom for a stop and to keep it from sliding up and down. Not pretty, but functional and dirt cheap.

Remember, never weld galvanized steel if you decide to build some for yourself, at least not by doing so outside and with a quality mask on and upwind.
Old 07-08-18, 08:59 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies, everybody!

I'm going to do a little more research and see what I can find.

I really appreciate the help!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: