Help identify this fastener

Old 11-22-18, 11:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help identify this fastener

Can anyone help me identify this strange bolt? From googling I found something called a "set screw" which is similar but does not have the ridged part in the middle. I need to find where to get more of this thing for a game I am making. If it helps, it might have something to do with assembleable furniture you can buy from Amazon. I think it might be used with those cam pieces that hold two boards together, and maybe the ridged middle just uses friction to hold in a pre-drilled hole.

EDIT:
Possible names:
• "Double End Thread Tight Push Rod Stud"
• "Double End Thread Stud Teeth Rod"
• "Hanger Bolt"
• "Double Ended Machine Bolt"

The ridges in the middle could be called "Knurled"

After asking my friend, it seems it came from this floor lamp from amazon: https://www.manualshelf.com/manual/s...y-english.html

Still trying to find where to buy just the screws.

Closest thing so far (4th image): https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...fccd70aafvUy9A

Name:  fast1.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  40.2 KB

Name:  fast2.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  31.8 KB

Last edited by Snowden; 11-22-18 at 01:35 PM. Reason: more info
Old 11-22-18, 11:26 AM
Received 317 Votes on 284 Posts
Yes it's a furniture style screw. We sell them in our store. Some have wood treads on one end and a machine thread on the other. This one you show seems to be special with the spline in the middle. Most likely specific to the manufacturer of the original product.

Old 11-22-18, 12:02 PM
Thank you. So as far as you know the only way to get them would be to find out who made the furniture it came with?

I found some hanger bolts, but most have the wood screw on one side. I need metal bolt style threads on both sides, and the splines in the middle. Even a hex style in the middle would be ok.

Closest thing I found: https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...320455057.html

Old 11-22-18, 12:10 PM
S
Received 26 Votes on 18 Posts
I've heard them called dowel screws. Thread one end into furniture, then screw a leg or foot or whatever else, onto the exposed threaded end. Since it doesn't look like it has slots for a screwdriver on the ends, I wonder if those splines are to give purchase if you were using a vise-grip to install it.

Old 11-22-18, 12:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,407 Votes on 1,302 Posts
I found double ended machine threaded fasteners but none with the spline in the middle. I found machine thread and wood thread with that spline. That is going to be a part from China and Alibaba is the place you'd find it.

Old 11-22-18, 12:20 PM
Could you link to the page you found it?

Old 11-22-18, 12:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,407 Votes on 1,302 Posts
I use google image searches a lot. Search

Old 11-23-18, 07:33 AM
B
Received 106 Votes on 93 Posts
Bolt in picture is an assembly of 2 threaded pieces and a fluted piece. Based on the lamp assembly instructions, my guess is the fluted section stops the bolt from rotating in the lower leg when the upper leg is threaded onto the other end of the bolt since both threaded sections are right hand. The fluted section may also prevent compressing the shelf if legs are overtightened. You could make a bolt by using threaded rod (from any hardware store), Cut to length and distort the threads in the center.

Old 11-23-18, 07:54 AM
M
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Search the McMaster -carr website. You may find a match there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: