Tension Mounting a Post

Old 12-28-18, 10:08 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tension Mounting a Post

Hi all. Hoping for some advice and a 'gut check' on whether this is a workable idea...

I'm building a floor-to-ceiling cat scratching post (4x4 wooden post wrapped with sisal) but am trying to avoid drilling any holes in the hardwood floor or the 'ceiling', which in this case is an archway. My current thinking it to use some heavy duty adjustable legs on each end to make essentially a vertical tension rod type mechanism. I would use something like this, for example: https://www.amazon.com/Swivel-Adjust...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Does this seem like a safe and reasonable solution? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Bill

Old 12-28-18, 06:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 900 Votes on 826 Posts
That should work, assuming the floor doesn't "give" when you walk by the post... if it does the post could come loose (since it's only friction fit) and fall out.

Old 12-29-18, 03:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 48 Posts
Another thought is that a floor to ceiling 4x4 post carries enough weight that if it fell it could hurt someone, more so if children would be near it.
If you were to tighten up that tension screw it would need to deform the ceiling drywall to make the post reasonably secure.

Repairing the ceiling after removing the post would be the same or less work that filling a couple of screw holes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: