Screw that will replace 3/16" rivet

Old 01-09-19, 01:11 PM
Screw that will replace 3/16" rivet

My power window stopped working on my (2009 Hyundai Sonata) and I need to replace the window regulator panel. The speaker is attached to the old panel with rivets and I need that speaker to go on the new panel. The holes the rivets are going through measure 3/16" in diameter. I don't have a rivet tool and have heard that some people replaced the rivets with "self tappers". No other information about size and such, just self tappers. So, my question to the group is what size metal screw would best fit into that 3/16" opening? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-19, 02:37 PM
If I was going to grab one to try from one of my bins it would probably be a #12, but sheet metal screws can sometimes be finicky depending on the threads and type of metal you're going into so not necessarily an exact science every time.

Old 01-09-19, 04:00 PM
Group Moderator
I'd agree on the #12...... #12 x 3/4"
A #10 screw would probably be loose in a 3/16" hole.

Old 01-09-19, 04:14 PM
Just be aware, after many years in the auto body business, screws are not a good choice for securing auto door hardware, the constant motion, vibration will cause screws, nuts and bolts to eventually loosen up.

Rivets are the best attachment method!

Old 01-09-19, 04:20 PM
You should be able to find a pop rivet that fits.

Old 01-09-19, 04:26 PM
Group Moderator
Sure.... a 3/16" pop rivet would fit. You'd need to buy a pop rivet tool.

Old 01-09-19, 05:17 PM
Group Moderator
No special tool for split rivets. Just a hammer and a flat tip screwdriver to bend the legs.

Attached Images  
Old 01-09-19, 05:45 PM
Follow ups

Thanks gang. I hear the advise about rivets (spent a lot of time trying to figure out why they would rivet but now I know). Thanks Marq1. By the way, do you think the screws would be okay if I laid down a bead of marine goop as well? Don't have too much experience with that stuff but gluing and screwing seems to work well everywhere else.

akapedro, totally get your point about metal screws being finicky. I found a #14 to try because it calls for a 3/16" pilot hole but it didn't look like it was going to go in straight as the threads were taking the screw all over the place. It also seemed that it was too big for it to fit. Will definitely try the #12 if I don't buy a rivet tool

Old 01-10-19, 05:16 AM
Any project that gives me an excuse to buy a quality tool is a good day!

Old 01-10-19, 06:10 AM
Ray, the last time I worked with any rivet was in grade 7 industrial arts class (sheet metal unit) and that was a long time ago. I certainly didn't know about split rivets. Thanks for the info!

Old 01-10-19, 06:26 AM
For what it's worth, and just in case you need a nudge, I agree completely with Marq, on both counts. Because it's a nine or ten year old vehicle and because you said that you had heard of this being done, I answered your question as asked, but if it were mine I would rivet it, and if that meant buying a rivet gun it would be a great day. Yeah, you're not going to use one every day, nor every week, nor possibly every month, but I guarantee you will have use for it more than a few times in the future. I can't tell you what my Marson cost 40 years or so ago, but it still works just as well now as it did then, and, just like any number of tools, might get dusty at times but is indispensable when you need one.

Old 01-10-19, 06:31 AM
Group Moderator
Was seeing my father use split rivets decades before I heard of Pop Rivets.

Old 01-10-19, 12:05 PM
Ordered one from Amazon and I blamed all of you when my wife asked me what I ordered I thought about the advise given and decided it was the way to go. The rivets on there now look brand new and there isn't any looseness in the speaker after 10 years. That's good evidence for rivets! Thanks again to everyone.

Old 01-10-19, 12:21 PM
Honestly, it's rare that I find something new in hardware or tools, but I have never seen or heard of split rivets!

Nice to see something new, er, old!