Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Hardware, Tools, Wood & Metal Working, Home & Business Security > Hardware and Fasteners
Reload this Page >

Cabinet door has hole too large. Need reinforcement for specific screw size.

Old 05-12-19, 03:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I have a cabinet door where the flat-screw head (no idea what size the screw is) normally would go from one end of the cabinet door (inside) to screw into the knob on the front end of the cabinet door.

The problem is that the back of the cabinet door has a large hole. So, no screw could be large enough, but also the screw needs to be a certain size in order to fit the knob.

I was thinking of repair plates that could reinforce the screw (meaning hold the screw in place by being wide enough of a plate to cover the back of the cabinet and therefore allow the screw to stay in place).

But I don't see different screw sizes and need to try some out in order to find the right size for the screw (I don't know how to determine the size. I have another screw that is smaller that didn't fit the knob since it was too small).

I show the front and back of the cabinet door in the photos. And then there's a photo of the front of the cabinet when the knob is unscrewed.

The black part you see around the screw is a temporary plastic reinforcement. I know metal would work great, but the hole needs to be the right size for the screw and I'm not sure how large the scre is.

Thank you!

Attached are photos of the cabinet. As you can see there's a makeshift black plastic piece holding the screw in place. This is until I can find a stronger material.

Let me know if another photo would be useful.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskReCCoF

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-19, 03:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 195 Votes on 181 Posts
You just need a #12 "finishing washer" to put behind the head of the screw..

Old 05-12-19, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks so much! I've ordered it. I appreciate the help!!!