Can anyone identify this?

Old 06-27-19, 10:12 PM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Can anyone identify this?

Hi Folks,
Anyone seen this part before (pictures attached)? It works like an anchor to hold the AC vent up in the ceiling. My home is from the 1970s, so I'm not sure if they make parts like this anymore. I'm trying to source another one, but not even sure what it's called or where I might find a part like it. Thank you

Attached Images   
mk3947 voted this post useful.
Old 06-28-19, 05:46 AM
A
Received 72 Votes on 65 Posts
Welcome. Things like that are not totally unique in that you could find any number of somewhat similar clips with various vents, bathroom fans, etc., but it is unique in that it was used by one manufacturer for their products and anything you happen across would be close but not quite. Long story short, it's not worth spending any time trying to find an exact duplicate. You might poke through the miscellaneous bins and drawers at your local hardware or big box and find something that you could make work, or you might make one from something like a piece of step flashing, bent into shape, and a hole drilled in it to start a sheet metal screw. That's what I would do.

BD111 voted this post useful.
Old 06-28-19, 07:10 AM
H
Received 151 Votes on 132 Posts
Agreed, these look more like a make-it-yourself project -

1- a narrow "eye punch" to open the hole for the screw
2- a pair of sheet metal pliers, aka "duckbill pliers" for bending.the shape.
3)- then find the right sort of metal to make the clips.

How flexible is the metal?
I'd look around for scrap metal- scrap A/C ductwork, an old computer case, the drip pins or doors from a discarded gas grill,

and then try bending some to see which sort of metal works best.

Old 06-28-19, 08:14 AM
B
That's a good idea guys, the metal is relatively flexible so I probably could make my own. I'll give it a shot, thank you!

Old 06-28-19, 09:47 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Received 89 Votes on 84 Posts
Hi, send a pic of the diffuser that your trying to repair.
Geo

Old 06-28-19, 11:00 AM
B
Sure, here's what it looks like:

Attached Images  
Old 06-28-19, 12:13 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Hi, does that duct push up? If so try placing a couple pieces of strapping up there next to the duct, secure it in place with drywall screws under the diffuser then secure the diffuser to it , here is a crewed pic.

Attached Images  
Old 06-28-19, 03:13 PM
B
Thank for the sketch and the idea -- what is strapping? (I'm no professional). The duct does push up; the duct and the diffuser are attached to one another. So ideally if I can make another anchor like the one I have already, I can make the whole piece push up flush against the ceiling. Also, I don't think I can find drywall screws small enough to fit my diffuser. Those two holes where the screws go in the diffuser are tiny tiny, it took me forever to find screws the same size in hardware store.

Old 06-28-19, 03:43 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Hi, strapping is 1X 3 lumber or any other pieces of lumber you have around, you should be able to use the screws you have to secure the diffuser through the drywall into the board above which could be secured with drywall screws or even some construction adhesive.
Geo

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: