Rigid disk with threads or bolt in the center

Old 07-12-19, 12:42 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rigid disk with threads or bolt in the center

I am looking for a rigid wooden, plastic, or metal disk, 3-5" in diameter, with either a bolt sticking out its center or threads in the center. Ideally there would be semi-rigid foam on the side opposite the bolt, but I can glue that if needed. I plan on attaching it to a camera tripod so there is a larger platform to support non-camera things. Thank you for your suggestions.
Daniel

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-19, 01:28 PM
Received 68 Votes on 62 Posts
ok, so cut a piece of metal, plastic, wood and drill a hole in center and place required size bolt through, you pretty much described what needs to be done!

Old 07-12-19, 02:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 141 Votes on 134 Posts
For mounting on a tripod you're going to need something with a 1/4-20 female socket on the bottom side to accept the screw on the tripod. You can also look at companies like Nine-Volt who make plates and other attachments for tripods.

Old 07-12-19, 05:47 PM
The tripod has a reversible mounting screw. I can use either a 1/4-20 or 3/8-16 female socket to attach the plate. The reversible screw is threaded into a 1/2-13 socket, so if the plate has a 1/2-13 screw sticking out of it I can mount that way. I didn't know about the cheese plate or what it was called in order to do a search. Thank you for that suggestion. I'll look to see if there are any small enough to use.

In the meantime, I'm open to other suggestions, maybe not from the photography field, which is why I posted in this forum.

Old 07-12-19, 05:50 PM
If I had the skills, tools, and equipment to make it myself, I would have. Thank you for the suggestion, though.

Old 07-13-19, 03:28 AM
Group Moderator
I don't think you are going to be able to DIY this without metal working skills. You need a 1/4-20 male thread stud with a 1/4-20 female socket on the other end and a mounting flange in the middle. Easy for me because I have a lathe and welders but this isn't something you can easily do with parts bought from a big box home center.

Old 07-13-19, 11:11 AM
PD, I'm not sure if you are commenting on Marq1's "just make it" response or my explanation how I can use a disc with a either a threaded hole or a preattached bolt.

If you are agreeing with my comment to Marq1 that I cannot just make it, then thank you for expanding on my "I don't have the skills or tools" response. You are right, I can't do it, which is why I came here for help.

If you are commenting on why I think I can use a disc with either a hole or a bolt, then I am attaching a picture that shows why I can. The picture shows that there already is a prethreaded hole in the head. If the disc has a bolt, I can screw it into the prethreaded hole. If the disc has a prethreaded hole, I can screw in the double sided screw (I don't know what the real name of it is - it allows for either a 1/4 or 3/8 attachment) into the head to have a threaded attachment sticking out.

Name:  ca.JPG
Views: 37
Size:  25.1 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 07-13-19 at 11:29 AM. Reason: added pic from pdf link
Old 07-13-19, 12:51 PM
Group Moderator
How about this. All these components are available at most home centers or worst case you might need to order something online. I provided a link to the plywood though that supplier is out of stock but you can get it online or at a hobby store.

Get a piece of 1/4-20 all thread rod or a long bolt you can cut the head off. It's available in the metals section of home centers and is sold in long sections. This will the the threaded piece to go into your tripod and to hold your other device. I'm thinking about an inch long.

Next you'll need a piece of wood for your base. Maybe good quality 1/4" plywood. Home centers won't have it but a hobby shop will. This plywood has many more layers than house construction plywood and is much stronger and smoother. It's available in small pieces and will only cost a couple dollars.

Next you'll need a pronged blind nut. Drill a hole in the center of your plywood circle big enough for the shank of the blind nut. Then you will hammer this blind nut into the circle and into the plywood.

Now, screw your threaded rod into your tripod. Then spin/thread your plywood disk onto the protruding threaded rod. Make sure the flange of the blind nut is on the top side. That way when you tighten it down the plywood will be sandwiched between the blind nut and plate on your tripod. You should then have some threaded rod protruding through so you can mount other items.

Old 07-13-19, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I use those furniture blind nuts that pilot shows to make tripod adapters for security cameras.
You can use a forstner or spade bit on one side of a disk of 1/2" plywood deep enough to make the head flush with the surface then drill through for the thread portion to pass through to the opposite side of the wood.

These are for outdoor cameras for wildlife on thrift store tripods.
Soaking the wood in preservative will prolong its life.

Old 07-13-19, 08:54 PM
Received 11 Votes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by racketteer

I am looking for a rigid wooden, plastic, or metal disk, 3-5" in diameter, with either a bolt sticking out its center or threads in the center. Ideally there would be semi-rigid foam on the side opposite the bolt, but I can glue that if needed.
I plan on attaching it to a camera tripod so there is a larger platform to support non-camera things.
Thank you for your suggestions.
Um, you've just described the base of a desk lamp.

Find an old desk lamp, unscrew the base from the lamp and remove the cord;
flip that flat base over and thread it onto the tripod.

Old 07-17-19, 03:19 PM
Thank you all for your replies. When I said that I don't have the tools or skills to make one, I meant that literally. I don't have the tools (e.g., saws, drills, bits, etc.) or skills (e.g., measuring properly, holding tools perpendicular, etc.) to make it. I need to either hire someone to make it, following all of your excellent instructions, or find something to buy. My question here in the forum was do you know of something like this that I can buy? The desk lamp base is a great idea and I'll check into that. Another idea was the thing used with drills that holds sandpaper disks, but the post isn't threaded (and I don't have the tools to put threads in it). Since I am using this as an adjustable platform to rest things on rather than mount things to, a square or rectangle 3" - 5" will also work.

Old 07-18-19, 04:56 AM
Received 45 Votes on 41 Posts
You must know someone who does have the tools to do this. And it's likely as not that they would be very happy to do it for you. I read this the other day and didn't dwell on it but made a mental walk thru of my shop and any number of options popped into my head, wood, plastic, metal, whatever, including foam backing. And there's nothing special about me in this regard because there are tens of thousands of guys and gals who could do it. Work? Church? The building maintenance guy or gal? The person down the street who does his or her own vehicle and/or lawn mower maintenance? It's a little harder to find someone you might already know who has a lathe, drill press, or whatever, but for what you need I can't believe but what there are endless possibilities close to home.

Old 07-18-19, 05:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Ya,
There is a cost for anything you want or need.
As opposed to just buying something there is a cost in the time to learn a skill , the cost of tools and the cost of material to DIY.
The better you want this tripod attachment to be the more you have to invest.
The most simple way of making what you want is to make a 1/4" hole in the side of a tin can and use a 1/4" wing nut to fasten it to the tripod.
But, if you don't have a drill there is the cost of this and a drill bit plus the cost of the can of beans.

If there is a need maybe now is a good time to invest some $$$ in tools.
There has to be a utube video on drilling a hole in a tin can! 😊