how do you hang heavy items on metal stud walls?

Old 06-01-01, 08:07 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I live in a condo where the walls are framed using metal studs. My question is, how do you use them when trying to hang something heavy onto a wall? A lot of things come with directions to screw into a stud for support but with the assumption that you have wood framing.

Should you drill/screw/attach into a metal stud or do you need a different tactic? If you can work directly with a metal stud, is there a best place to drill into? How do you know if you are hitting the thicker part or the hollow side? The metal stud finder works great in finding them but I'm worried that putting a nail into one might be more hazardous than if it were wood.

My question is regarding items too heavy for just plain wall anchor screws.

Old 06-01-01, 09:35 PM
josh1
Visiting Guest
for metal studs i'd predrill a very small hole and use fine thread drywall screws

or if you can't hit a stud use toggle bolts

hope this helps--------josh

Old 09-16-04, 08:02 AM
mwater33
Visiting Guest
Is there a plus/minus limit on how many toggle bolts and metal stud screws that you would recommend I install?

Would it increase the strength to try and add a mix of both toggle anchors into the drywall and then also use the fine drywall screws?

Is there any kind of toggle bolt that is made to go inside the metal stud? Like metal stud toggle bolts?

Thanks again!

Old 09-16-04, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
Exactly how heavy is this "something" and what exactly is it?

I regularly hang heavy things from walls and how it is done will depend on how heavy and if there is any added leverage from being wide.

Anything from a simple screw as josh suggested or as I have done, screw a large backing board over several studs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: