Grease fitting heavy duty door hinge - fitting stripped

Old 10-15-19, 12:57 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Grease fitting heavy duty door hinge - fitting stripped

We have these heavy duty metal doors and one has grease fittings for the hinges - 3 hinges.

I was able to grease the top and middle but the bottom would eject the grease out at the fitting threads. After trying to tighten the fitting I noticed it would start to get snug and then spin. Pulling it showed the threads were stripped.

I got one with the same thread at a local hardware store and that one also stripped so either someone had replaced what I thought was the original with the incorrect thread type and or the female threads for the hinge are stripped.

Any suggestions on how to possibly repair this? I thought I could try and re-tap the existing threads and then get a slightly large diameter fitting as a replacement.

Old 10-15-19, 01:02 PM
Received 463 Votes on 431 Posts
Possibly, but your going to have to take the hinge apart to bet the tap in there.

Old 10-15-19, 01:04 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 792 Votes on 729 Posts
Many inexpensive products don't tap before installing a grease zerk, especially if going into thin metal. They just run the fitting in and let it grab as best it can. I would try another new zerk and see if you can get it to tighten down well enough. Making it more confusing there are different size zerk fittings and they are available in English and metric. After that you can go to a larger zerk fitting and drill and tap the hinge. Back when most things were made in N. America 1/4-28 was the most common thread size but lately I've seen a lot of coarse thread self tapping ones and metrics.

Old 10-15-19, 01:09 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks. The replacements I got were 1/4-28. There one that was in there had a shorter/stubby thread. I got that and a longer thread. Both did not work. The longer thread actually wouldn't go all the way into the hole.

Is it possible the hinge is someone blocked that even if I get the fitting to hold the hinge won't take the grease?

When using the gun enough pressure was applied to pop the replaced fitting out. If there hinge is working as it should - despite not having adequate grease - would at least some would have made it into the hinge or does the fitting need to be perfectly sealed?

I also tried using some pipe dope on the threads - Rectoseal True Blue - but that didn't help.

Old 10-15-19, 01:59 PM
A
Received 72 Votes on 65 Posts
Can't recall the circumstances (more and more common these days), but a couple of years ago I was working on something that I could not get the threads started and couldn't get into with a tap, or whatever the reason was, but ended up using a press in fitting. It worked then, and I guess it still dos because I can't remember coming up short on anything. Would definitely be at the bottom of the list on say a tractor bucket or whatever, but might be worth consideration in this case.

Old 10-15-19, 04:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
A lot of times even if you get a fitting in the hinge could be blocked. if you can spray some penetrating oil in and around hinge and work door several times to loosen it up,

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: