Repairing drawers of a credenza

Old 11-03-19, 01:44 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Repairing drawers of a credenza

Forgive my terminology, as I am not a pro. I have a credenza (I am not the original owner) with drawers where the mechanism they were all riding on has broken. There are channels along the entire length of the center-ish of each side of a drawer. I believe these were riding on complementary pieces of wood in the cabinet and those all broke and cracked. It looks like they maybe were held in by dowels. I am going to call these "rails".

The four drawers are arranged vertically above each other and the faces are flush. There are no cross pieces on the front of the cabinet that an under-drawer center slide could be mounted to.

I don't have woodworking machinery to rip/sand/whatever new wood side rails to mount into the cabinet.

What would be other options to fix these drawers? metal side sliders/glides? Do they make plastic rails the drawer channels could ride on?

The channels are 7mm wide x 17mm high x 50cm long, and aren't recessed any, so there's only perhaps another 1 mm play on each side between the side and the cabinet wall. Are there any metal slides/glides that would fit in that small a channel?

There is about 23mm between the bottom of the side of a drawer and the top of the side of the drawer below it. Is there some hardware I could put below the drawer sides instead of in the channels for the drawers to ride on? That would allow the hadrware to be a bit wider (say 1/2 inch). I'm not sure how to prevent the drawer from tipping down when opened then, though.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-19, 07:58 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Rent the tools you need such as a table saw to do the repairs. Observe all safety rules for using power tools.

Old 11-04-19, 09:46 AM
Received 34 Votes on 33 Posts
Perhaps a couple pictures would help others understand what you want to do.

If I understand the problem I would go to a steel distributor/seller and get 1/4 X 5/8 flat bar and use that as side rails.
You probably would have to settle for 1/2 inch height.
You would still need some tools but nothing fancy perhaps just a drill and a hacksaw.