Screw sizes on Baldwin Imperial door knocker

Old 12-04-19, 10:46 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Screw sizes on Baldwin Imperial door knocker

Does anybody happen to know what type of screw/thread a Baldwin Imperial Brass door knocker comes with? I need longer ones, door is thicker and non-metric is extremely hard to get here in EU. The diameter of the screw is about 4.8mm, first thought is was 3/16" BSW, not sure though.

Thanks, Herman

Old 12-04-19, 11:15 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Best would be to contact the manufacturer and ask what thread it is tapped for. There are several about that size that it could be. The other option is to take the knocker to a hardware store and try different sizes, threads until you find what fits. They may not have the length you need but at least it will identify what thread you need.

Old 12-04-19, 11:38 AM
M
Thanks. I'll contact Baldwin. Checking at a local hardware store is no option for me, as finding a non-metric screw in a EU hardware store is next to impossible, only works online.

Old 12-04-19, 12:47 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
If you can't find the correct screw you can drill out and re-tap the knocker to a metric thread.

Old 12-05-19, 12:32 AM
M
I'm afraid that's of my turf. IMHO that's not even possible because the walls of these screw holes are too thin for rework. Anyway, did some checking and if my understanding is correct it's a #10-24 x 2" screw. Diameter and thread count seems to match the data on the internet. Going to order that online.

Some good came out of this, probably the foremost expert in my area on US screws now

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: